We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I wait to book Northern Lights tour?

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle, United...
Should I wait to book Northern Lights tour?

Hiya,

My flights/hotel are all booked up for Iceland for seven days mid Feb.

I'm at the point now where I'm starting to sort out what tours I would like to do whilst I'm there.

My number one priority is the Northern Lights tours. I am reading some posts that say to book well in advance and others that say to book whilst you're there as you will have a better idea of what the weather will be like.

So my question is, should I book now or wait? I worry about waiting because I would be devastated if the tours are fully booked on the nights I want to go on.

I am in Iceland for seven nights (7-14th) and I would be happy doing a NL tour every one of those seven nights if I have to, in order to get a chance to see the lights.

I know many people think superjeep is overpriced, but I have read that they are one of the (if not THE) top companies with the highest NL "seeing rates", so I plan to go out with them once or twice in search for the lights. I can't afford to go out with them for seven nights straight though, so I will have to find some cheaper companies for the other five nights I'm in Iceland.

How do I pick which nights I will go out with superjeep? Should I just email them my dates of travel and let them pick which days they think are best?

Thanks in advance.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
reviews: 22
1. Re: Should I wait to book Northern Lights tour?

Just email them, and put your arrival and departure days down. They will put you on the list for the first night. If there are no lights, or no tour due to weather, they will take you again, next time there is a tour, as often as neccessary !

So, for N.L. tours, book now.

This is Facebook images from many tours: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
reviews: 74
2. Re: Should I wait to book Northern Lights tour?

What many companies do is offer to take you out again foc if tours are cancelled or you dont see the lights so its better to book nl tour for early in your trip.

Sorry crossed posts!

Edited: 4:49 am, September 16, 2012
Newcastle, United...
3. Re: Should I wait to book Northern Lights tour?

Hiya,

Thanks for your replies. I have just emailed SuperJeep and informed them what nights I will be in Iceland. I can only really afford to go out with SuperJeep twice, so I will have to choose a cheaper tour operator for my other nights.

Without knowing which nights SuperJeep will think are the best for me to go out with them though, how will I be able to book NL tours for my remaining nights in Iceland? That's the bit I'm confused about.

Does anyone know of any other less expensive NL tour operators that are also very good, for my remaining nights? I think I prefer small group sizes as opposed to a huge bus.

Thank you.

Newcastle, United...
4. Re: Should I wait to book Northern Lights tour?

Somebody has recommended this tour company to me for NL viewing: www.ichighland.is

I would appreciate any other suggestions.

5. Re: Should I wait to book Northern Lights tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:10 am, September 26, 2012
Newcastle, United...
6. Re: Should I wait to book Northern Lights tour?

Is the Northern Lights Emperor different to SuperJeep? Is one better than the other?

Thanks.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
7. Re: Should I wait to book Northern Lights tour?

Ooops, I forgot to tell you that www.superjeep.is and for that matter the emperor www.tourguide.is take you out again FOR FREE ! if there is a ,,no show"

Newcastle, United...
8. Re: Should I wait to book Northern Lights tour?

Thanks for that info, I didn't know that.

I have contacted superjeep already so I will book one NL tour with them.

Should I book another night with the Emperor as well then? -I can't seem to find the prices for the Emperor's NL tour.

Edited: 1:34 pm, September 16, 2012
North Coast, N...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
reviews: 74
9. Re: Should I wait to book Northern Lights tour?

Feisty, it should be easy enough to book with Reykjavik Excursions or Grayline when you're there. Your hotel can probably help you with this or the tourist information office. These companies use coaches. On the night we went out with RE (part of an icelandair package) it seemed like there was maybe 15-20 RE coaches going out at the one time. We were on the 3rd coach to depart from our hotel alone!! That, however, was exceptional I think as the NL tours hadn't gone out for 9 or 10 nights due to bad weather.

Edited: 2:06 pm, September 16, 2012
Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
10. Re: Should I wait to book Northern Lights tour?

Feity801 just book with the ,,king", him and the ,,Emperor" work together, and have same prices.