We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Ideas for Feb 2013 in Iceland

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Huddersfield...
Itinerary Ideas for Feb 2013 in Iceland

Hi Guys,

My Wife and I are planning a trip to Iceland in February to hopefully see the Northern Lights, but definitely soak up the beautiful scenery!

We are keen to make our own way around as we are only going for 5 nights and don't want our plans to be too tied down, as obviously weather etc could cause problems.

I was wondering if anyone who has experienced Iceland in Winter could give me some feedback on our planned itinerary?

Day One - Head north of Reykjavik to Bjarg and book into a farmhouse - Maybe a good spot for the Northern Lights?

Day Two - Head down to the Northern Lights Inn and Thermal Spa

Day Three - Along the south coast to Hestheimar, again stopping in a farmhouse and explore the local area

Day Four - Head to Vik to maybe check out the glacier.

Day Five - Drive back to Reykjavik before flying home on Day Six.

We are keen to take in as much as possible in the way of beautiful scenery and natural features such as waterfalls etc so any suggestions you could make as to places we should visit/avoid this time of year would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

1. Re: Itinerary Ideas for Feb 2013 in Iceland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:37 am, August 07, 2012
Huddersfield...
2. Re: Itinerary Ideas for Feb 2013 in Iceland

Thanks for your reply, yes we do plan on renting a 4x4, it seems like a sensible idea. Cheers for the website link too, not been on this one yet, looks good.

Hong Kong, China
3. Re: Itinerary Ideas for Feb 2013 in Iceland

Hello! I am planning to go Iceland in Feb., 2013 too. It is so happy to see your post!! I search a lot from internet about Iceland but most of the posts are summer in Iceland, not much about in winter time. As this is my first time to go Iceland and don't know much about what can do in Iceland in winter besides northern lights :P, hope can get some advice from here.

Brooklyn, New York
4. Re: Itinerary Ideas for Feb 2013 in Iceland

my partner and I are doing the same. Your itinerary sounds excellent. Do you have ideas on maximizing the possiblity of seeing the northern lights? Also, looking for an ice hotel for a night?

Huddersfield...
5. Re: Itinerary Ideas for Feb 2013 in Iceland

Hi,

Well I've done a bit of research but the general consensus seems to be to stay away from light pollution! Its all down to mother nature I guess but i'm staying in places 'out of the way' so I'm hoping this will help!

First night in the Northern Lights Inn and then the remaining nights in http://www.grimsborgir.com/ so we have a base to explore!

I had to change my itinerary a bit due to flight times etc. Don't know about an Ice Hotel I'm afraid but hope you find one and fingers crossed for the lights!

Chris

Denver, Colorado
reviews: 18
6. Re: Itinerary Ideas for Feb 2013 in Iceland

My boyfriend and I will be in Iceland Feb 2013 as well! Looks like it is a popular time to go. Glad to read all of these great tips! I can't wait to see the northern lights.

I know there is an Ice Hotel in Sweden but I don't know that they have one in Iceland. Will you post on here if you find one?

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 4
7. Re: Itinerary Ideas for Feb 2013 in Iceland

Your itinerary sounds great! I wish I would add anything, but so far it looks pretty much independently set. Are you thinking about hiring a tour guide?

As for me, I'm going to Iceland alone in February 16-20, and I'm looking for 2-3 people to share a trip with me. I read a lot of good reviews about Iceland Aurora photo tours and would like to go with one of the photographers on Feb.18 to South Coast. Here is their website

http://icelandaurora.com/tours/

Singapore, Singapore
8. Re: Itinerary Ideas for Feb 2013 in Iceland

Dear all, I am also looking for 2 person to share the cost for a full day tour from icelandaurora. My email is cheyenneling@gmail.com. My date is only 1 day on 9 February 2013. Thank you very much

Derby, United...
reviews: 4
9. Re: Itinerary Ideas for Feb 2013 in Iceland

Guys, guys, guys. There's no icehotel in Iceland, only in the bond movie!

Good luck in seeing the aurora, cos we didn't. You need a heck of a lot of luck! However, you will love the place!

Mountain View...
reviews: 45
10. Re: Itinerary Ideas for Feb 2013 in Iceland

It is the other way around. You have to be very unlucky to not see an aurora. That is, every night during your stay will have to be cloudy and/or radio inactive. You are almost certain to see an aurora if (a) you spend 4-5 consecutive nights in Iceland, and (b) are willing to travel out of the area (that's why you need a private guide) at night to get to a 'hole' in the clouds.

At any rate, my advice to travelers is - don't go to Iceland solely for the aurora if you are going to spend only, say, 2-3 nights there.

Edited: 4:49 pm, December 15, 2012