We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brighton
reviews: 3
Car rental

Can anyone recommend a not too expensive car rental company in Rekyavik or the surrounding area. Thanks!

165 replies to this topic
Marlborough...
reviews: 49
121. Re: Car rental

I have rented a car from National, which is serviced by Saga at Keflavik. We went to Iceland at the end of January '14 and requested a 4WD with studded tires. Due to what I have read on this forum and other places, I expected to run into hassles and miscommunication when we picked up the car, but everything was perfect, the people at the rental agency were on the ball and had changed the tires for us and gave us what we thought was an honest assessment of insurance needs (they told us not to get the wind-blown sand insurance in winter because it's not as windy and much of the ash is frozen in ice or wet and doesn't blow around much, which we found to be true.) We did not go for the cheapest deals, as I have read too many horror stories. The car (Ford Kuga, like an Escape) was great, in excellent shape, and all our dealings with the staff at Saga/National were easy and fast and smooth.

122. Re: Car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:31 am, April 21, 2014

Huddersfield...
reviews: 36
123. Re: Car rental

Hi

I recently used "GO CAR" rental hire and I would strongly recommend this company. It was hassle free the vehicles are slightly older but are serviced and well maintained. Book in UK prior to your arrival and you can decide whether to collect it or drop it off were you want. I took out additional car insurance but it was not really necessary but it is up to you. Go ahead and book it is hassle free enjoy your time in Iceland as we did.

McLean, Virginia
reviews: 23
124. Re: Car rental

Hello Alice,

We rented from Reykjavik Cars( http://www.reykjavikcars.com/) last year. I did a lot of research as most of the reviews and forums mention dreadful things about car rentals in Iceland. It was evident that we did not have a unanimous winner, so we went with the cheapest which had decent reviews and were pleasantly surprised. The booking was easy, they were clear about their instructions, got a airport pickup and when the engine light came on, it was easy to call their help center and get necessary information. I will strongly recommend it.

125. Re: Car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 4:05 pm, April 26, 2014

Reykjavik
reviews: 13
126. Re: Car rental

Hello Aquisite. I have, and will confirm that you are in good hands when doing business with SS car rental

Edited: 12:45 pm, May 09, 2014
Sheffield
reviews: 37
127. Re: Car rental

We just returned from holiday in Iceland and got our car from Arctic (www.arctic.is). The price was way lower than the big companies and included CDW. The car was delivered to the airport by a very friendly agent, and likewise we simply dropped off the car at the airport and walked to our flight. Nice clean car and best of all, no high-pressure sales tactics to buy all kinds of extra insurance. When we got home they sent a pleasant email saying they had picked up the car and all was fine. My highest recommendation!

Hafnarfjordur...
reviews: 1
128. Re: Car rental

Hello, here are my two cents on renting a car in Iceland. Beware, compared to other countries, Iceland will always be more expensive so don't let that surprise you. Cars in Iceland are expensive to buy, repair and insure so the cost will always be higher. Having said that, it is always possible to find deals.

All car rentals usually have the CDW insurance included in the price but keep in mind that the insurance never covers any water damage (Rivers), damage to tires and all of the underside of the car... please be careful with that. SCDW is good to have in most cases.. in my opinion.

You will have two choices, rent from one of the big guys and usually get a fairly new car but you always pay more for that... which is fine and most people are happy with that. Apart from the international chains like Hertz and Budget and those there are some very good local companies that hire new cars... Here I can mention www.procar.is, www.route1.is and www.mycar.is. All have good cars and offer good service... usually a bit cheaper than the international chains but all of these easy to recommend.

Second option is to save money and deal with some of the companies that offer used cars. In my opinion a used car is fine and as long as it is properly taken care of it will be reliable and safe. The biggest ones are www.sadcars.is and www.cheapjeep.is. These companies have had plenty of reviews in this thread so I will let those words speak for themselves. Another company that is definitely worth to mention is www.funcars.is. They have used cars also but very well maintained and clean and reliable at a very good price. I have also heard good things about www.citycar.is.

I hope this helps someone...

New Jersey
reviews: 39
129. Re: Car rental

I heard good things about ProCar on this forum and that they include GPS programmed with popular sites. Unfortunately they don't have Akureyri as a drop off location which we need. Any recommendations for car rental companies that accept drop offs at Akureyri?

London, United...
reviews: 2
130. Re: Car rental

After a lot of research we used Blue Car Rentals (http://www.bluecarrental.is/) at Easter 2014 which we would highly recommend.

They were the cheapest we found and had not a single bad review.

Prior to booking we contacted them to ask advice, Magnus was extremely helpful in giving all kinds, not only for car choice, but driving distances and times.

We booked a KIA Cee’d, but kept an eye on the local road conditions and webcams (http://www.vegagerdin.is/english) USE THE SITE, WE FOUND OUT IN ICELAND THE LOCALS DO!

The day before we arrived, snow was heavy on the north east of Route 1 so we decided to change to a Suzuki Grand Vitara which Magnus did no problem.

We were met at the airport and taken by mini bus to their offices which were on airport and less than a minute drive!

After filling out a small amount of paperwork and having the insurance, damage, excess’s, driving speeds and rules, emergency numbers explained we were given a brand new Grand Vitara with 70km on the clock!

All insurances were included (TP,GP,SCDW & CDW) we also took out the extra SAAP.

The car was fully fueled and immaculate.

We drove the complete Route 1. Visiting places like Akureyri, Dettifoss, Mývatn Baths, Fljótsdalshérað, Jökulsárlón and Reykjavik.

Finding how easy it was to drive in Iceland despite the snowy roads, we decided to cancel the Golden Circle trip and the morning the car was due to be collected, we called Blue Car Rentals to extend, which was not a problem.

We then drove GullFoss, Thingvellir National Park , Geysir & Strokkur then over to The Blue Lagoon.

The car was collected the following morning to the minute we had asked.

It was returned with just over 2000km on the clock!

Edited: 5:40 am, May 24, 2014
Reply to: Car rental
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted