We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iceland in May - Where to stay, what to do, etc

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Medford...
reviews: 17
Iceland in May - Where to stay, what to do, etc

We are planning a trip to Iceland at the beginning of May, arriving Friday AM, leaving Monday PM. Right now there are 2 of us, but we have about 15 other people express interest in going, so it could be a large group.

For places to stay, we want to be near the nightlife. I am looking at the Hotel Fron, a one bedroom apartment. Has anyone ever stayed here? Would you recommend it?

In terms of things to do, I have found interesting:

- Blue Lagoon

- Northern Lights tour

- snowmobiling the glaciers

- Hiking

- Riding a viking horse

Is there anything people would recommend? And should we book as a package or should we wait until we get there to book things?

Thanks for all advice! Can't wait to go!

Reykjavik, Iceland
reviews: 8
1. Re: Iceland in May - Where to stay, what to do, etc

Your questions will be better answered by someone who's seen the place through the eyes of a visitor but I just wanted to tell you that you won't get any northern lights in may. It'll be too bright and warm by that time. The rest of the stuff isn't as seasonal.

USA
reviews: 27
2. Re: Iceland in May - Where to stay, what to do, etc

Where to Stay: A room with a view

to do : Golden Circle Tour - Hit the Basics

Blue lagon

Snowmobiling anywhere

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
3. Re: Iceland in May - Where to stay, what to do, etc

I'm a big fan of Room With A View, as it's exceptionally central, and Arni and Siggi are very nice guys. It's just along the road from the Fron, several flats above a bookshop.

Your time is pretty short, so you'll need to be organised. You might be able to combine the Golden Circle tour with a couple of hours riding - there are a few stables around Fludir, and it's quite nice there. Although I've never done it, I suspect there may be decent places to ride north of RKV as well, around Borgarnes - which is also saga country.

Snowmobiling - I think maybe Myrdalsjokull might be a good bet, or maybe a trip to Longjokull, if the roads are open (possibly not in early May).

Heading towards Vik, to see the black sand beaches around Dyrholaey, plus Skogar and Selajandsfoss. You can give Eden a miss, it's a greenhouse and a shop.

You shouldn't have to book in advance, unless you have a substantial group and want to travel together, as May is shoulder season.

Medford...
reviews: 17
4. Re: Iceland in May - Where to stay, what to do, etc

Thanks for all the tips...these are very helpful. I found Room with a View on the web, so I have emailed the owner asking about availability for the weekends we are interested in.

If you have more tips of any kind, I'll take them, thanks!!!!