We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Iceland South Coast Day Trip?

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Best Iceland South Coast Day Trip?

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the best South Coast day trip while in Reykjavik? I've seen various tours that offer the two main waterfalls, but then some seem to offer a stop by the infamous volcano and/or others offer Porsmork? It seems I'm planning on skipping the glacier lagoon for now.

I'm sure I'm getting things a bit confused, but thank you for shedding any light on the South Coast.

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
reviews: 21
1. Re: Best Iceland South Coast Day Trip?

The ,,classic" south coast tour, is a tour by bus. The tour is about 9 -10 hours, and keeps to the main sights, that are easy to get to, like Two waterfalls (Skogafoss and Seljalandsfoss), Reynisfjara beach, rock stacks, (with Dyrhólaey in the distance) www.gti.is actually goes to Dyrholaey as well as the other places. Some include a visit to Skogar folk museum, others don´t. All the bus tours include a visit to Sólheimajokull glacier tounge (when road condition allows). Most of them have Vík village as a turnaround point, and lunch break. No South coast bus tours have Thorsmork or the volcano in their itinerary, but drive by the volcano, and on a good day you can see it in the distance.

Then there are the ,,Superjeep tours" They are the only ones that can offer Thorsmork and getting close to the volcano as a part of south coast tour, but then some of the other stops are of course skipped, and they usually do not go all the way to Vík, before they turn around. The Superjeep tours take you to places the buses cannot and there is always a little adventure included in their tours.

Private tour can be tailored to your wishes, and is a very good option, and a cheaper one if there are at least three of you traveling together.

IMHO I would always prefer a Superjeep or a private tour, rather than a bus one, but of course they are more expensive, but I think better value.

My favorite coach tour is www.gti.is a ,,small coaches" operator.

And superjeep tour is www.amazingtours.is or www.superjeep.is

As for private tour, there is www.tourguide.is

NJ
2. Re: Best Iceland South Coast Day Trip?

For the bus trip to Thorsmork/Porsmork, you are probably referring to the one offered by Reykjavik Excursion that departs early in the morning from Reykjavik. I would say most of the people on the bus are hikers doing the 4 day Laugavegur hiking route from Thorsmork to Landmannalauger. The bus makes a couple stops along the way to pick up more hikers, rest stop and arrives at Thorsmork sometiime in the afternoon maybe 1:00. Then later on maybe around 5:00, picks up hikers who started the Laugavegur trail from the Landmannalauger direction.

The Laugavegur trail is a very famous hiking trail in Iceland, Due to the volcano in 2010, my husband and I hiked another trail that started from Landmannalauger and ended elsewhere rather than Thorsmork. For day tripper, you can get out and walk around for 2 to 3 hours and enjoy the beautifule scenery/landscape, inactive fumeroles and then get on the same bus back into Reykjavik. Just look into Reykjavik Excursion for bus schedule and purchase tickets to either LandMannalauger or Thorsmork. I can't comment of Thorsmork, but for Landmannalauger, you can book an overnight accommodation in one of the shared cabin (pack a sheet/ & blanket with you) and leave the following day instead. There is a "green bus" on site at Landmannalauger camp site that sells sandwich, drinks, etc. or you can purchase trout and cook it in the kitchen onsite. Cooking ware, spices/salt, utencils are available in the kitch for public use. Just clean up after yourself. The are bathrooms and showers as well.

NJ
3. Re: Best Iceland South Coast Day Trip?

Also as an FYI- For Landmannalauger route, the Reykjavik Excursion bus stops at a couple of sites, one of which is the Leirubecki Farm and hotel, which my husband and I stayed for 2 nights before continuing our hiking journey. You just keep your ticket and let the bus driver know that you will continuing on to Landmannalauger on such and such date. At Leirubecki Farm, you can book a horseback riding excursion on the Icelandic horse. The owners run a horse training/riding school on site as well as the hotel and award winning restaurant (all onsite).

Reykjavik, Iceland
reviews: 47
4. Re: Best Iceland South Coast Day Trip?

Hi,

More options on the South coast tour are driving for an half an hour towards Þakgil a spectacular scenery and if the weather and conditions are good to drive on top of the Mt.Reynisfjall near Vík. No need for Super Jeep, a normal Jeep is enough :-)

Kind regards,

Gunnsi Guide at Season Tours

Washington DC...
reviews: 14
5. Re: Best Iceland South Coast Day Trip?

I also went on the RE excursion tour as described by the first poster, Icelandguide. For my personal tastes, I found the tour to be rushed. We were only allowed approx 10-15 mins at each of these: waterfalls, the site of the volcano, and for the musuem: approx 30 mins. The tourist/ educational part of historical Vik: 20 mins. There was not much else to see to Vik, but had I been in my own car or had more daylight, I would have liked to wander about the town. At the black sand (Reynisfjara) beach, it started to snow and sleet and it was very cold, however, I would have liked time to enjoy the views and by the time I took photos, everybody was back on the bus!! The Reynisfjara beach was my favorite.

In summary, the tour is nice because it does take you to see a lot of the sights along the coast, but if you are able to go either in the summer with more daylight and explore longer, or by your own car, I would recommend that.

I hope this helps!

London, United...
reviews: 2
6. Re: Best Iceland South Coast Day Trip?

I too am planning a trip to Iceland and have looked at a few South Shore tours. Iceland Horizons looks like a good choice. They have really good reviews on here for their trips. It seems like they take no more than 12 people, don't rush too much and provide good commentary.

7. Re: Best Iceland South Coast Day Trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, December 15, 2013