We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

outside Reykjavic in mid October, need advice

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
outside Reykjavic in mid October, need advice

Me and my girlfriend are travelling to iceland in mid october and while we are spending a few days in Reykjavic for the airwaves festival I am really excited about exploring the country's landscape afterwards for a couple of days. My questions surround this particular time of year -

1. what natural features should be avoided because of inaccessibility/invisibility?

2. which ones will be heightened by the particular time of year?

also, if anyone can recommend perfect day trip activities, that would be very kind. i am thinking of things other than the blue lagoon and geysir - stuff like horseback riding, whale watching, volcano tour (does this exist?), jeeping etc etc...and if anyone can recomment a particular company for the horseback riding, I would really appreciate it!!!

i know there is alot of info im seeking, Im sort of lost...thanks in advance!

Reykjavik
reviews: 2
1. Re: outside Reykjavic in mid October, need advice

Hi from Reykjavik

You will enjoy Airwaves, sold out and I got tickets, here are my best bets regarding you questions.

Leave out ideas like going by yourself in to the highlands, it is still possible but I would use a guide and a private driver, see www.tourguide.is

2. Aurora, with the right conditions, it is mind blowing, the Aurura needs to be there and you will need the right weather, so don´t plan it with more that 48 hrs notice.

Getting lost in the darkness, renting a car and doing as much as possible by yourself using the Loney Planet is a good option.

For horseback riding there are many options, Laxness Horse farm near to Reykjavik is good for day trips. http://www.laxnes.is/

There are bunch of Jeep Tours around, with cost from 10.000 IKR for a short one and 100.000 for a long one.

God thing to know is that most things can be booked with 24 ti 48 hrs notice in the winter.

As you might have heard we are having a little bit of economical and political crises so it is often possible to get a good last minute deal.

If you want an adventure combo tour where you visit a farmer instead of Tourist horse farm, I would consider.

goecco.com/Index/…

ERGO

The weather is the force this time of the year in Iceland, follow the weather and don´t plan to much.

There are also tours like Ice Climbing and Whale Watching, if you choose Whale Watching I would go for Elding, www.elding.is

Hope this gives you a better idea and answers some questions.

Hope you will enjoy your stay, the music and Carpe Diem

Anna

Toronto, Canada
2. Re: outside Reykjavic in mid October, need advice

hi anna!

thanks sp much for the inside info. there seems to be so much to see but what I\m hearing form you is that we need to play it by ear on account of the weather...and maybe we dont have to worry about planning ahead...

the only thing i didnt get was the bit about the aurora, which we are very excited about - what did you mean about the 48 hours?

and are there any natural sights that we will be able to check out during this season?

thanks again!

Reykjavik, Iceland
reviews: 47
3. Re: outside Reykjavic in mid October, need advice

Hi,

The Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) are best viewed outside of town (light pollution) and you can see the forecast for them on the internet. Also forecast of weather: …vedur.is/weather/…temp to see if it is cloudy or not.

Things to do are also to see more of Reykjavik. A Guided tour walking, biking or electric biking to cover more places and hear about the vikings, saga and where to have fun is a must do!

Kind regards,

Gunnsi Guide at Season Tours

4. Re: outside Reykjavic in mid October, need advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 08, 2011