We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puffin island tour?

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
usa
reviews: 8
Puffin island tour?

Do they land on the island itself or just see it from a distance? Do we actually get to see puffins up close?

Wondering if some tour companies combine this with a normal whale watching tour

Any experiences?

Richland, Michigan
reviews: 108
1. Re: Puffin island tour?

I don't have experience with the puffin island tour, but I did go on a whale watching tour that stopped by an island that had puffins on the way our to the whales.

The puffin piece was not very exciting. We could see birds, but weren't close enough to the island to tell that they were puffins. We had spent the previous day at the latrabjarg cliffs though. I don't think you can get any closer to puffins than that. So maybe that's why this stop didn't excite us.

The whale watching part of the tour was great though, we got very close to a humpback whale.

If this is your only shot at puffins, and you'd like to whale watch anyway, then it's probably your best bet. Unless there's a puffin tour that actually lets you get off a boat some place. Then that would be better.

Maryland
2. Re: Puffin island tour?

I was going to ask a similar question, so I thought I'd join in this conversation...

The two companies that seem to do a specific Puffin Island tour are Elding and Puffin Express... anyone know which is better? And yes, getting off onto the island or even very close to it would definitely be the goal! It's all about good photos, after all...

Thanks!

...Stacy

usa
3. Re: Puffin island tour?

wilkintj, Thanks for the response! Yes, I dont think I will have time for any other option to seeing puffins

Do you remember which tour operator you picked for whale watching?

Thanks

Richland, Michigan
4. Re: Puffin island tour?

We were with Elding. Aside from the closeness to the puffins, the trip with them as a whole was great and I would recommend them, especially if you want to do a whale tour too. They claim a 95% sighting rate and if you don't see one, I think they offer to take you out the next day for free. Our trip was 3 hrs. We didn't see any whales for the first two hours, so we started to think the trip was a bust, but they finally sighted a whale and we got up to within 20 feet of it and watched for 20 min or 1/2 hour before we had to head back.

We could tell in our photos, once we were back, that the birds we saw were puffins. We have a 20x zoom on our camera. We didn't take alot of pictures at the island because we'd taken alot the day before. The puffin tour might spend more time at the island, yielding more opportunity for pictures. Though, if they take you to the island we went to (I think there are a few they visit) you probably won't get out because I didn't see any where for the boat to dock.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 30
5. Re: Puffin island tour?

Do you mean the Puffin Island near Husavik, which is called Lundey. I went there on a whale/puffin watching tour. If it's the Husavik island, North Sailing does a combo tour there. They fly all around the boat but you won't see any right close up. Bring a good camera because they move around really quick.

Maybe there's more than one Puffin Island but if you want to know more about the one near Husavik, I can try to help.

usa
6. Re: Puffin island tour?

wilkintj, Thanks! I will also try Elding

cflavoured, I was looking at whale watching tours from Reykjavik. Thanks for your input!

Richland, Michigan
7. Re: Puffin island tour?

Yeah, I was talking near Reykjavik. I didn't make it up near the other whale watching area.

Australia
8. Re: Puffin island tour?

We recently went on Puffin Express (out of Reykjavik).

To be honest, I was a little disappointed. The brochure is clear about the fact that the boat doesn't land, but says you get close (within metres).

We saw quite a lot of puffins flying about, but not many sitting around looking cute, which I had been expecting (based on the brochure and my guidebook). The guy mentioned that most of the birds were out fishing - we were on the last (4.30) departure so I'm not sure when they come back to sit around looking cute, if at all...

We were also at the wrong angle for the sun a fair bit of the time so made it hard to see.

If you have a good zoom lens and/or binoculars, it could be quite good.

9. Re: Puffin island tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:18 am, December 20, 2009