We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing and shoe style advice for Reykjavik

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
reviews: 3
Clothing and shoe style advice for Reykjavik

I'll be coming to Iceland in late June and I want to pack light but still bring enough clothes and shoes to experience a diversity of experiences. I have waterproof hiking shoes and fleece and waterproof layers for the rural/nature areas, but my question is about how to dress in the city. I'm from Seattle where it is perfectly acceptable to dress casually, including hiking clothes and fleece in the city (although I try to be marginally more stylish than that!). Are there "sartorialist" style blogs or websites where I can see photos of how Reykjavik residents dress? From the scenes in the movie "101 Reykjavik" it seems like the people in clubs dress rather casually but stylishly and wear a lot of vintage/thrift shop clothing. I'm in my 40s so I don't need to be too hip and trendy, but I don't want to look like a tourist. How do women dress to go to nightspots - if I don't do slinky dresses and high heels will I feel out of place? How dressy do they get to go to cultural events such as classical concerts and opera? Would a basic black mid-length skirt and flat black Mary Jane-style Euro walking shoes (such as Dansko, Born, etc.) be acceptable in a variety of urban situations? I also read somewhere that there is more of a taste for black and grey instead of bright colors - is that accurate? Thanks!

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
reviews: 21
1. Re: Clothing and shoe style advice for Reykjavik

As you said yourself, casual or light-casual is what we wear.

But the main thing is:

It´s not your clothes that matters, I am sure you are stunning, what ever you´re wearing. It´s your ,,inner beauty" that really matters, and I am sure you have what it takes. And everybody loves colors!

B-)

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 54
2. Re: Clothing and shoe style advice for Reykjavik

Great answer, Icelandicguide.

I must remember that when my wife mentions new shoes!

Matilda - I'm sorry I can't help too much. My advice on clothes is ....'warm', and on shoes... 'comfortable'

I don't remember many slinky dresses, but then I didn't go to the opera.

seattle
3. Re: Clothing and shoe style advice for Reykjavik

I hope I can answer your question as I'm close in age, from Seattle and been to Iceland twice! My teenage daughter and I went in late June last year.

We noticed that women didn't wear jeans as much as we probably do and they wear a lot of skirts and dresses. Many nice glasses and shoes! I noticed more color and stylish, unusual fashions rather than a lot of black & grey. Since you're limited on what you can bring, just pack a skirt or dress, comfortable shoes and a nice scarf or accessories to dress it up. You'll be fine! You could look at http://www.icelandeyes.blogspot.com/ for some great photos of everyday life there.

4. Re: Clothing and shoe style advice for Reykjavik

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:23 am, October 26, 2009