We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollars euros isk ??

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cape Cod...
reviews: 3
Dollars euros isk ??

I have booked a hotel that is charging 130 euros. Their Icelandic site states the charge is 130 euros / 15900 ISK. The difference between euros and Isk when translated to USD is a great difference.

Right now 15900Isk is somewhere around $125 The 130 euros is abot 170 USD. What can we expect generally in the way Americans are being charged?? Any help appreciated .

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
reviews: 21
1. Re: Dollars euros isk ??

Posts like this make me sad and ashamed to be an Icelander.

This is because when they made the price list the price was the same. But due to decrease in the value of the krona, there is this BIG difference, that they do not bother to set right.

The answer is of course you should pay in Isk. But you can´t get Isk. in massachusetts. But there is a way around this:

When you order, they ask for your Cc. number. Give it, and confirm your booking. No transaction will take place until you show up, and leave the hotel. By that time you have obtained Isk. in an Icelandic bank, or an ATM. and then you insist to pay in Isk., matter solved.

Once you are in Iceland, make sure you know what the exchange rate is, that YOUR Cc. company uses. That will determine how much you will end up paying. If you use your Cc. (safest way) in an Icelandic bank, this : http://www.sedlabanki.is/?PageID=183 Is the exchange rate that you will get. This is also the exchange rate you will get, if you exchange cash dollars, (that you bring with you into Iceland) to Isk. I think that is the best way to use money in Iceland. You can also pay directly with Dollars in most (not all) places in Iceland, but then you will have to know the correct exchange rate that day according to ICB.

But why the secret, do tell us which hotel it is that is doing this, ripping their customers off like that.

B-)

Cape Cod...
2. Re: Dollars euros isk ??

Thanks. I have asked that we pay in ISK and were told that we could check the morning of arrival as to what the exchange rate would be. I was just concerned that they would not give us the ISK rate that was published. It is only published on an Icelandic lanuage site as 130 euros/15900 isk. The english site states only 130 euros. It seemed like very different rates perhaps one for Icelanders and then one for foreigners. I do not want to name the hotel. We are still hoping the situation will solve itself and the ISK at a reasonable rate will be charged and all will be well. We have been to Iceland a few times and love the country. The scenery is incredible and the people are very nice.

Thank you again I will either bring cash or use the ATM in the airport to exchange $$

Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
reviews: 21
3. Re: Dollars euros isk ??

I still think you should tell us which hotel this is.

After the "crisis" over here, some of us in the tourist branch, are trying to restore and get back our integrity and good reputation. And company like this are not helping

{B-((

Colorado Springs...
reviews: 8
4. Re: Dollars euros isk ??

It's a good heads up, though, for the North Americans.

So instead of using CC for everything (and possibly be charged in euros), I'm going to plan on carrying kronur for the hotels and Blue Lagoon.

Cape Cod...
5. Re: Dollars euros isk ??

That is what I am planning on doing. I am hoping they will charge me the ISK instead of euros. It will make a big difference. I plan on going to the airport ATM right after landing. The car rental (no relation to the hotel) was strictly in US$$-and I am paying the same amount for 4 days that I paid for 3 days in April-so there is a savings there.

USA
reviews: 1
6. Re: Dollars euros isk ??

The LAva Rest. at the BLue Lagoon has their menu set in EUR. I am bringing ISK, they will accept ISK correct? Is ISK printed on the Menu?

In reading this thread, I have changed my mind of exclusivley using a credit card, I instead will carry ISK. And if I'm correct, from what I have gathered in these posts, an ATM machine would give the best exchange rate?

Thanks a million!

D

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Iceland
reviews: 29
7. Re: Dollars euros isk ??

Hi darwinm,

Using ISK from an ATM will give you a slight advantage. However, if you withdraw too much and have to exchange your excess ISK back when you leave Iceland, you will loose some of the advantage with that transaction.

The key is to just get enough ISK for your needs; and there are ATMs all over Reykjavik and Iceland.

If you didn't catch a previous post on this, where I compared CC to ATM rates, check out:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189970-i594-k1660…

Have fun.

8. Re: Dollars euros isk ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, September 25, 2009