We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter Mystery Adventure Tour by Nature Explorer...

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
reviews: 1
Winter Mystery Adventure Tour by Nature Explorer...

Has anyone been on the ‘Winter Mystery Adventure’ tour offered by Nature Explorer?http://www.natureexplorer.is/daytours/northern-lights/

We were wanting to go on the Golden Circle Tour and a Northern Lights tour, but the cost of our trip is starting to add up! This option looked like it might cover the best of both, but would like to hear from anyone who has some experience of it…

Or if anyone knows of any other tours that combine the two, without being custom made and costing a lot more!

Our total tours budget is around £200-£250 for two people… any suggestions?

Leeds
1. Re: Winter Mystery Adventure Tour by Nature Explorer...

OOh yes please info on this too!

London
reviews: 2
2. Re: Winter Mystery Adventure Tour by Nature Explorer...

Hi There,

Just return from Iceland last weekend.

Didn't take the winter mystery adventure tour, but can tell you that your total tours budget for two will be more than enough!

Here what we did. but first two tips I think are important. Do not change to Icelandic currncy in the UK. Do not book on line the tours and take cash avoid using credit card. All of the above are fine but for someone who has no spare money to spend for no reason they are no no.

when you exchange money in the UK it will be hard to find a bank to do so and you'll get about 120-160 ISK for a pound. Using credit card is great, easy and the simplest. the credit card company might charge a fee for every time u use it. + the bank you are with will give you the worst exchange rate for you. ppl that were with us said they were charged 1 pounds for 124 ISK. We changed at our hotel (Cabin) and got 200 ISK per pound).

We booked the northern lights hunt and the blue lagoon on line. it was perfect but at the hotel - booking was much cheaper.

I think you can do all u want to and it will still be less than 250 pounds for two:

Flybus - we payed 9 pounds per person per single (18 pounds return) - when we arrived we saw the ride was 7.5 pounds per single, but it ain't musch a different. Though read about the deal BL on the way to the airport for 25 pounds)

Blue lagoon - we paid 35 pounds per person (saw ity for 25 pounds at the hotel including the bus from hotel to BL and from BL to airport)

Northern lights hunt in a bus - we paid 30 pounds per person online - same price over there. we were lucky and saw a very nice display. maybe with 4X4 u can have it more private but at the end of the day it is down to luck. Booking on the day is better in terms of changing wether.

Golden Circule - booked at hotel - cost us 94 pounds (in pounds no exchange) for the two of us. we did with a bus. i think a 4X4 is 10 times better here but again you see it all and much cheaper.

shopping - nothing really for Brits to buy. we spend our 40 pounds in ISK that we already exchanged on chocolates.

Resturant - if u r into the local experience then the SEA BARON - - it is for the fishers to come at lunch break. I had Whale and Foal and their Lobster soup is amazing. this one is great to sit with the local but at the end of the day, after eating a 6 course 'meal' you end up with 20 pounds for two including beer. This one i will recomend for the experience more than for the money.

so we ended spending 260 pounds for both of us - but you can easilly save up to 40 pounds by just booking at the hotel.

Leeds
3. Re: Winter Mystery Adventure Tour by Nature Explorer...

Great thank you for the info.

We're staying at the Cabin - if we can book the tours for cheaper once we're there than I think we'll do that.

We wanted the NL and the Golden Circle. Would love the jeep ones but will probably do the coach instead to save the pennies. Fingers crossed we get to see some NL activity!

Potentially a silly question, but how cold is it? We're going early Jan. Do you need to take ski-type clothes? Or just lots of warm layers and a good jacket and boots?

London
4. Re: Winter Mystery Adventure Tour by Nature Explorer...

Thanks so much for all the info!

So do you think that waiting and booking on site there will be options available? We are only in Iceland for 2 full days so don't want to miss out...

London
reviews: 2
5. Re: Winter Mystery Adventure Tour by Nature Explorer...

Yes guys...

Everything was bookable at the moment you wanted to leave the hotel to the activity. For us we saw it was about 15% cheaper booking on spot than the ones we made online. However the GBP/ISK issue is going the other direction...

NL hunt id a defenet book at the night u want to leave and see it!!!! many factors involvd and best time to calculate it is 30 mins before you are taking the bus. for jeeps maybe u need to book few hours beforehand...

It is very cold. Ski stuff (no face mask though) is best option (for us it was)

Blue lagoon - we booked online with icelandair. cost us 35 pounds including hotel pickup and drop. we also paied 9 pound each for a flybus to the airport. In cabin hotel they advertise a pickup with your cases from hotel. blu lagoon till 14:15 (cases stays on bus) and a ride to the airport - all for 25 pounds!!!!! no worries about stuff u need as you have showers with soap, shampoo, conditiner at the blue lagoon free of charge. for 5 pounds u also get a huge blue towel )so no worries of wet towels to fly with), and free big lockers everywhere. when u finish they even provide you with plastic begs to put your wet bikini in. so you do the math.

However, we wanted to book a massage in the blue lagoon and it was all booked. (we were last to get in as took loads of photos outside) - so if u keen on massage and also a photo-holic, then once u book your blue lagoon book also a massage and take ur time outside for posing in the nature.

Enjoy.

USA
6. Re: Winter Mystery Adventure Tour by Nature Explorer...

thanks for this info!!!! I was planning to book everything online, however, judging by this thread, now I am aware I can book these tours thru the hotel at a cheaper rate! Am I understanding this correctly?

thanks!

7. Re: Winter Mystery Adventure Tour by Nature Explorer...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:28 am, October 17, 2009