We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ring Road-four days in May. Advice. Please. Thanks

Which Reykjavik hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
nyc
reviews: 11
Ring Road-four days in May. Advice. Please. Thanks

Day 0- Reykjavik(Blue Lagoon in morning. Fly over Lake Myavtn in the afternoon. Explore city at night.)

Day 1- Get rental car at 10AM and head to Pinvellir, Geysir, Gulfoss and Pjorsardalur. (Lunch stop) 2 PM Porsmork (Can we do the hiking by ourselves or do we need to book a guide.) We are sleepin in Hella

Day 2- Drive East- stop in Skofagoss, Vik-Reynisdrangur -arrive at Skaftafell National Park. (Do we hike here or hike at Jokulsarlon instead? Do we need to book a guide? Do snowmobiles need to be booked in advance? ) We sleep in Eglistaddir.

Day 3 get in car-stopping in Hallbjarnarstadakambur Crest on way to Jokulsargljufur National Park (Hiking?) We sleep in Husavik)

Day 4 Route 87, stop at Eldhraun, hike Vindbelgjarfjall(?) stop at Dimmuborgir drive to Bjarnflag, stop at Hverarond, Mount Krafla, Viti, drive to Reykjavik (stop at Hotel Budir for dinner, would it be worth it?)

My Questions:

1. Am I missing some major sites?

2. Would you replace any of these Parks, Hikes, with other sites?

3. Would you replace any of days with days in the west fjords or the interior?

4. Any Activities reccommended at any of the parks? Hikes? Snowmobiles? Boats?

5. Will we be able to stop somewhere for lunch or will we have to "save" fruit and bread from the breakfast buffet?

6. I am thinking of doing 10 to 12 hours a day before we crash at the hotels. Does this sound realistic.

7. Dinner reccommendations or Lunch reccommendations are apprecaited.

8. Am I forgetting something?

Thanks for your help! First time in Iceland and I have no idea when I will be coming back so...I have to pack it in...

Massachusetts
reviews: 1
21. Re: Ring Road-four days in May. Advice. Please. Thanks

Hi marpaz!

I totally understand your aspirations to see as make the most of your time in Iceland. I struggle with the same want everywhere I go! And there are SO many "must-see" spots in Iceland that are unlike anywhere else in the world!

I think, however, the bottom line that everyone is poking at is that doing the ring road in five days is simply exhausting and no fun.

If you're open to it, I'm sure that we'd all be very happy to help you plan a more localized trip that will STILL completely meet your expectations and wow you in every way! By reining in your plans a bit, you could still see Geysir, Gulfoss, Thingvellir, Skogafoss, Vik, Reynisdranger, Jokulsarlon, Skaftafell... you can still hike, go horseback riding, go snowmobiling, take a boat tour, soak in outdoor hotpots, go ice-climbing, go white-water rafting, dine fabulously, whatever... you can still have an amazing trip.

Perhaps you think like me-- "gotta see it all now because there are too many other places to see after!" If so, remember that other reason you love to travel: the richness of the experience. To rush through half of amazing Iceland for the sake of rushing through the other half of amazing Iceland would really lack that "richness of the experience" that we travellers cherish.

Again, I think the bottom line that the rest of the posters and I all feel is that, even though we don't know you, your personality, your tenacity, your preferences... regardless, its unimaginable that even the most vivacious person could truly enjoy driving the ring road in 5 days.

marpaz, I'll be doing the ring road for 10 days in mid-May. I would love to share my research on the rest of your questions if you consider planning an itinerary that justifies answering them.

How about just the entire south? All the amazing, beautiful things between Reykjavik and Hofn? Can you justify the long, long stretches between the entire east, north, and west for mostly just Myvatn area?

Maybe, like me, you're thinking "ugh, I don't want to drive the same roads twice, backtracking to Reykjavik from Hofn." I'm pretty sure it's going to look just as amazing or even completely new from the other direction. But just in case, ask the others...

Whatever you do, let us know how it works out!

Massachusetts
22. Re: Ring Road-four days in May. Advice. Please. Thanks

Another similar post

tripadvisor.com/…6458306

nyc
23. Re: Ring Road-four days in May. Advice. Please. Thanks

Thanks for the response. We will be going in mid may so perhaps we will see you on the road somewhere...

I cannot imagine not squeezing in Myvatn, because some people consider it their favorite part of Iceland.

So many places...so little time.

Massachusetts
24. Re: Ring Road-four days in May. Advice. Please. Thanks

Perhaps we will see you on the road! Suprised, I didn't run into you in Mexico when we were also there early January! We seem to have coinciding travel bugs. Small world...

Tanya (& Luke)

cincinnati, ohio
25. Re: Ring Road-four days in May. Advice. Please. Thanks

I will be staying in Husavik in a cottage myself in June. I have not planned the rest of my trip so these posts are useful. I also plan to go to Grimsey this time. Any tips on the ferry.

Massachusetts
26. Re: Ring Road-four days in May. Advice. Please. Thanks

I'm not too familiar with the ferry but I will offer two North-east activities that you may not have researched yet: the Lofthellir ice cave day tours from Hotel Reykjahlid in Myvatn and a soak in the more natural, less-touristy "blue lagoon of the north:" the Myvatn Nature Baths.

Hotel Reykjahlid Lofthellir Tour http://www.reykjahlid.is/html/lofthellir.html

Myvatn Nature Baths

http://www.jardbodin.is/english/#

I have read that Hotel Elda may have run the ice cave tours also. Probably any Myvatn-local hotel would be able to direct you to a cave tour.

Here's an interesting 3-day tour in the area including the ice caves.

nat.is/online_booking/sba_nordurleid_online/…

Of course there is much more to do in the area. Will you stay at Kalbaks-Kots?

nyc
27. Re: Ring Road-four days in May. Advice. Please. Thanks

Back from Iceland...and it is a stunningly beautiful country and although, 5 days cannot possibly come close enough to do it true justice, I got to see more than I expected...

Day 0 Had lunch at the lobster soup place in the port (loved it.) Skipped the blue lagoon and went whale watching (didn't see any whales...it was freezing.) Soaked in the spa in the 101 hotel, felt much warmer and energetic. Explored Reykjavic and had dinner at the Seafood Cellar. Icelandic Lobster is the only lobster I will ever eat! (Loaded up on oranges, bananas, peanuts, chocolate, wine and water at the airport and supermarket and gifts for back home.) Icelanders are super nice.

Day 1 We were travelling with Mr. Sleep Late, so breakfast was at 9AM...first snag was the location of car rental company (if you rent from Glacier jeeps make sure they deliver the car to your hotel...) Left keflavik at around 11:30 AM directly for the Glacier...of course we had to stop every five minutes to take pictures and gawk at the mountains and beaches (Stopped for bacon wrapped Hot Dogs at Gas Station. ) Surprised to have Glacier lake all to ourselves. Made it ot the glacier hike at 4:30 PM...our guide Einar was super nice. We had Vatnajokull all to ourselves.(It was magical!) Left at aroun 8:30PM. Because we were staying at the Skaftafell hotel we backtracked and it was like a different road, the setting sun changed the mountains and the water. Jokarsulon at sunset was even more beautiful. Only place to have dinner was the truckstop and we had to fight other tourists/truckdrivers for some greasy lamb chops and mystery mash at 11PM.

Day 2- Last people on the road at 11 AM. The road seemed different again....stopped just as many times to gawk...arrived at Jökulsárgljúfur national park at around 3PM and because we have been to Iguazu and Victoria Falls, I did not think I would be amazed by Dettifoss..never doubt the power of Iceland...the black canyon that Deltifoss empties into and the absolute lack of tourists, ranks it right up there with the greatest...hiked around the waterfall for 3 hours, drove into Myavtn and stopped by sulfur craters. Last to reach hotel at 9:30PM, tastier greasy lamb chops for dinner.

Day 3- 10 AM Craters in front of Sel hotel. (Encountered a group of 10 tourists, which was the largest crowd yet...on the road we only encountered sheeps and horses.) Hiked Impossibly movie perfect H Volcano (2-3 Hours...great views of the area.) Left for lunar landscape and more sulfur craters. We were looking forward to Myavt baths...not to be...we could not get over the smell of sulfur. Left for Akureyri, and just when you think the snowcapped mountains and water can't get surprise you anymore...they do. We drove to Sauðárkrókur (Hotel Tindastoll is by far the most charming we stayed in.) More Lamb chops.

Day 4 The drive around the Fjord, the previous day, was so stunning, that we decided to go around again...even though it was not paved and the guidebook reccommended going through the valley (which apparently is considered the most beautiful drive...) We drove through a really long two way, one lane tunnel that was spooky in the right way. It was the most isolated part of Iceland we saw...birds were our only companions...and then Iceland just went unbelievably, ridiculously beautiful...waterfalls that went straight into the ocean and spectacular beaches. We drove onto Reyjkjavik and the main sites...we decided to take a detour on Road 52 and Iceland shocked us again, just before the approach to Thigvellier, the most impossibly jeweled colored lake surrounded by black mountains covered in the brightest of green moss. Made it to the Geysir were we saw our fist tourist bus at aound 6PM. We skipped the waterfalls because we had a nervous Nelly in our group who was not sure we were going to make our 7 AM flight...Stayed at Flughotel, ate Icelandic Lobster at Cafe Duus.

I recommend this itinerary, all of Iceland is a must see and all areas have their own unique attractions...anyone not being weighed down by Mr. Sleepy, can get even more done than we did. The only part that disappointed was the whale tour...but maybe you will see whales...so...

Loved Iceland and the Icelanders.

nyc
28. Re: Ring Road-four days in May. Advice. Please. Thanks

Perhaps we were lucky. We got 4 sunny days, with 40-60 degree weather and only our last day was wet. We also got to drive at the speed limit and had the roads and sights to ourselves.

Reykjavik, Iceland
reviews: 8
29. Re: Ring Road-four days in May. Advice. Please. Thanks

Wow marpaz! You did it! Thanks for sharing that with the forum...great read:) Gotta (erm..) love greasy lambchops haha.

30. Re: Ring Road-four days in May. Advice. Please. Thanks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:17 pm, September 02, 2009