We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hafnarfjörður Christmas Festival on Friday nights?

Which Hafnarfjordur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lyon, France
Hafnarfjörður Christmas Festival on Friday nights?

I am wondering if the Hafnarfjörður Christmas festival is happening on Friday nights leading up to Christmas. Specifically wondering about this Friday night.

I searched their city website and it talks about Saturdays and Sundays, but not Fridays. I was wondering if things are still going on, but maybe not as organized?

If it isn't, what does everyone recommend for getting into the Icelandic Christmas spirit this Friday night?

Thanks in advance.

Reykjavik, Iceland
reviews: 66
1. Re: Hafnarfjörður Christmas Festival on Friday nights?

The Christmas Village in Hafnarfjörður is open only on Saturdays and Sundays (last weekend 18-19 December) from 13:00-18:00 and on Thursday 23 December (the big Christmas shopping evening in Iceland) from 18:00-22:00. You'll find some information on it here visitreykjavik.is/desktopdefault.aspx/…

For the Friday evening you could consider "Let's Talk Christmas" at Restaurant Reykjavik also described here visitreykjavik.is/desktopdefault.aspx/…

Another possibility would be to eat at one of the many "jólahlaðborð" (Christmas buffet), a very popular Icelandic tradition, where all sorts of Christmas foods are on offer. There's a listing of restaurants offering this here http://www.veitingastadir.is/Jolahladbord/ - it's only in Icelandic but if you click on each restaurant in turn you'll go to the Icelandic information page for that restaurant, which includes a link to the restaurant's own Web site, which should be available in English for them all. A word of warning, you MUST book in advance - these are very popular and simply turning up on a Friday evening won't do - call or email them to book.

Lyon, France
2. Re: Hafnarfjörður Christmas Festival on Friday nights?

Thanks for the recommendations. Those all sound great. I think we'll try one of the Christmas buffets and just walk around Reykjavik enjoying the lights and displays. I've heard that some neighborhoods have great lights displays. We'll have a rental car, but does anyone have any suggestions of neighborhoods or areas to check out.

Thanks again.

3. Re: Hafnarfjörður Christmas Festival on Friday nights?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 06, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Hafnarfjordur
More Hafnarfjordur Topics