We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Mobiles Abroad

Which Iceland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire
reviews: 39
Using Mobiles Abroad

I am taking my UK mobile phone to Iceland and this may sound like a silly question, but if somebody needs to call me from the UK while i am in Iceland, do they just call my UK number as normal, or do they put the UK dialling code in front of the number (44) or the Iceland dialling code (354) ?

Thanks in advance

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth
reviews: 29
1. Re: Using Mobiles Abroad

They are calling "your" number from where ever you (and they) are - so they use your own countries area code.

UK
reviews: 88
2. Re: Using Mobiles Abroad

If they are calling you from the UK they would call you with or without the UK +44 prefix, eg +447xxxx or 07xxxx would both work. Either is fine. It doesn't matter where you are, your number doesn't change and it wont affect the cost to them

If THEY are abroad, they need to use +447xxx for your number as otherwise the country they are calling from doesn't know its a UK number (the fact you arent in the UK at the time doesn't matter the telephone system works it out).

This is why its better to store all numbers in international format, eg +447xxxxx since you dont ever have to change it wherever you are calling from.

They do not ever use the Icelandic prefix, the whole idea is that they don't need to know where you are to call you.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
3. Re: Using Mobiles Abroad

To clarify that: they just dial your number the same way as they always do, whether you are in Yorkshire, Iceland or anywhere else that your cellphone will work.

And if you want to dial a number in Iceland while you're there, you must use the country code for Iceland before the number.

4. Re: Using Mobiles Abroad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:19 am, August 27, 2013
UK
reviews: 88
5. Re: Using Mobiles Abroad

Nicely summarised Shuffaluff, much clearer than my ramblings :-)

Yorkshire
reviews: 39
6. Re: Using Mobiles Abroad

Thankyou everyone for your replies, I am sorry if i offended anyone by posting it in the air travel forum, i couldnt find anywhere else to post it, and this group seemed the most relevant out of them all!!

Thanks again everyone :)

7. Re: Using Mobiles Abroad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, August 27, 2014