We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expenses and tours in Reykjavik

Which Iceland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 30
Expenses and tours in Reykjavik

I'm trying to plan a trip with my partner to go to London, Paris, Amsterdam and Reykjavik in 2014 either Jan/Feb or in July. I'm thinking of spending approximately 3-4 nights in each place.

In Reykjavik I want to go to see the Blue Lagoon, Glacial Lagoon, do the Golden Circle tour, (possibly ride the Viking Horses), go on a Northern lights tour (if we go in the winter), see the puffins (if we go in July). I also want to do some general sight seeing (Hallgrímskirkja Church, Harpa Hall, Perlan).

1) There are soo many tours available I have no idea which one to go with since most receive raving reviews! Does anyone have any tips as to which one to choose? I was looking at GoEcco Tours since they seem to throw in some activities (like bathing in a "secret" pool") which other tours don't offer. But in the end I'd like to go on a tour that gives good value for money, is reliable, safe and friendly.

2) Is it cheaper to just go to the Blue Lagoon myself by bus rather than by tour?

3) How much would this trip to Reykjavik end up costing me? I have a feeling it will be around the $5,000 mark without airfare, and just with all these tours, accommodation, food? (If we go in the winter it will be off-peak so hopefully prices will be slightly cheaper?)

4) Should we do a tour for general city sightseeing or just go on our own? Is Reykjavik easy to navigate for a foreigner?

5) Northern Lights tours.. would it be better to just go to a hotel that is a little further out from the city (e.g. Hotel Ranga) and just hope to see northern lights or go on a Northern Lights Tour? We'd probably go on the first or second night, and hopefully if we don't see lights we could go on the following night again... (but which tour to choose is another thing!)

Edited: 8:54 pm, January 29, 2013
Amsterdam, The...
reviews: 10
1. Re: Expenses and tours in Reykjavik

I can't really help you with most of the questions on Reykjavik. I do know that you should visit in Jan/Feb if you want see the Northern Lights.

Any questions on Amsterdam, send me a message!

2. Re: Expenses and tours in Reykjavik

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 01, 2014