We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iceland self drive tours

Which Iceland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Thornhill, Canada
reviews: 1
Iceland self drive tours

We are considering a 9 - 10 day self drive tour of Iceland for September 2013. There are a number of companies that organize this, and we are looking for suggestions as to who is the best overall - reliable itinerary, support enroute, pricing, etc...

The name that comes up the most often seems to be Touris, but several other operators seem to be competitive and similar.

We are also overwhelmed by the variety of places to go, and would like some input about itinerary as well.

27 replies to this topic
1. Re: Iceland self drive tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:43 pm, September 14, 2012

2. Re: Iceland self drive tours

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:11 am, September 26, 2012

Canada
reviews: 26
3. Re: Iceland self drive tours

Just came back from Iceland on Sept.25th 2012.. We did a 8 day self drive tour around Iceland from Nordic Visitor. Very good people, organization and helpful maps and itineraries. Very pleased with the service and the accomodations arranged by Nordic Visitor (Budget, i.e shared bathroom and WC). They arranged for the car to have winter tires (brand new) before we picked up the car (a Ford Fiesta) which was quite comfortable for two people and easy on gas ($2.05/lt or almost $8/gal). They are quite well known around Iceland. And we felt since we went thru them we got even better service than if we were doing a tour on our own (i.e. self booking etc).As there are so many remote areas, even on the primary Highway #1, it was good to now we had a celular phone and 24/7 service if needed). Highly recommendable.

Note: We did rent a car first at Kefklavik and drove it around the first four days in Reykjavik and therefore did not need airport pick-up and the first night accom. The return was same, we spend another four days in Reykjavik and found our own hotel (ApartmentK) and rented another car in Reykjavik and dropped it off at KEF (Keflavik International Airport). And checking the internet for prices of self-drive tours, Nordic Visitor was very comparible to others. And price adjustment/reduction, due to our not using the first and last night accom and transportation was done fairly and generously.

Bucks County...
reviews: 23
4. Re: Iceland self drive tours

The only problem I see with many of these tours is a nonrefundable 20% deposit.

When booking for six people it can be quite the sum. And it is possible that two of them might not be able to go.

Since I need the flexibility, I am planning to book refundable rooms and do an itinerary myself.

Iceland
5. Re: Iceland self drive tours

Many companies offering similar self drive tours ... a bit price difference though ... those are one of the main companies in self drive:

…nordicvisitor.com/travel-deals/…

http://www.vikingcarrental.is/en/self-drive

http://www.icelandtravel.is/self-drive-tours/

6. Re: Iceland self drive tours

Removed on: 12:34 pm, May 08, 2013

Lisbon, Portugal
7. Re: Iceland self drive tours

Hello, Me and my wife are going to Iceland between September 8-15 and I´m planing to do the same. (self drive trip). I just started my research to build the Itinerary and I´m thinking to include "The Golden Circle", 3 day in Landmannalauger (hiking) and the south coast to see the black sand (maybe Vik). I´m not sure if I will contract a tour or do it by myself (rent a car and book the hotels). I usually organize my trips by myself but I´m having a bit more difficulty to have good information now. Maybe we can share some information about routes and other useful information. Which places are you planing to include in your route?

Best regards,

Michael Castro

Edited: 5:41 pm, May 23, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
reviews: 15
8. Re: Iceland self drive tours

We are using Iceland Unlimited to organize our tour. So far I've been super happy with them. We don't actually travel for another month.

Since we are traveling with my mother and aunt, both in their 70's, we've up scaled the trip a bit.

I've been reading the forum for a while now, and I haven't seen anything bad about any of the self-drive tour organizers so whoever you pick will likely be fine.

9. Re: Iceland self drive tours

Removed on: 1:15 pm, June 04, 2013

Toronto, ON Canada
reviews: 4
10. Re: Iceland self drive tours

I was wondering how your trip went. I am planning for September 2014 and also want to do the self drive.

How was the weather? Any Challenges? how were the acccomodations and costs? Who did you you reserve through?

I am so sorry for all the questions, but I have never been and would appreciate the help.

Rudy Giacchetti

Reply to: Iceland self drive tours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted