We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Log Cabins!

Which Iceland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
reviews: 1
Log Cabins!

Hi all,

I have booked to stay in Iceland over new year this year. We've booked 2 nights at the hotel Nordica (is that any good by the way?!!) and then we would really really like to spend just one night in a nice log cabin sort of thing, in a secluded area surrounded by snow, mountains and glaciers! (it is myself and my boyfriend, I know it sounds sad!).

If anyone could recommend anywhere like this (near to a ski resort would be an even bigger plus point) I would really appreciate it. I have googled all sorts of things to try and find something like what we want but no luck so far.... thanks all

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
1. Re: Log Cabins!

You'll like the Nordica, it's really swell - sits on a little hill east of the city centre. Takes about 25 minutes to walk to the centre, or you can take one of several buses.

There aren't a lot of mountains in Iceland, and the interior roads are closed for the year, which takes out the mountain hut stay...by the way, it doesn't sound sad at all, but quite romantic and adventuresome.

There are lodges at the Blafjoll ski area, which is reachable by buses from Mjodd, a Straeto bus station in the southeast of RKV. Have a look at www.skidasvaedi.is. The Hotel Geysir is pretty rustic, and the Hotel Skaftafell is quite close to glaciers in Skaftafell park - but it might not be open around the holidays.

Hmmm...found something interesting...did you look at Holl Cottage? It's not secluded, being just west of the Tjorn, in the centre of RKV, but has been rebuilt in the style of the 1890s, when it was originally constructed. Have a look at www.simnet.is/holl - it might be all right.

Reykjavik, Iceland
reviews: 8
2. Re: Log Cabins!

Something like this? kerlingarfjoll.is/view_detail_image_en.php… In winter it's open on agreement. It wouldn't surprise me if they actually had something special for new years. There's an e-mail adress on that page somewhere if you want to look into it + a few photos. It's close to Hofsjökull glacier. I was there last september, didn't stay overnight in one of the huts but walked around a bit. It's beautiful.

Not wanting to step on Travellerplus's feet but I wouldn't say Iceland is exactly flat. There are a lot of mountains. Or maybe I see mountains where Travellerplus sees hills;) It's a possibility.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
3. Re: Log Cabins!

Taratara, you are such a diplomat! I may be spoilt as I live in Vancouver, which has the Coast Range marching off to the north and east, with mountains ranging from 1177 to 1646 metres, all visible from the city centre streets (or from my windows).

I didn't mean to take anything away from the mountains in Iceland, which are exceptionally beautiful, especially some of those in the east; and of course Mount Esja, which is a wonderful sight on a clear day in Reykjavik.

Reykjavik, Iceland
reviews: 8
4. Re: Log Cabins!

Ah yes Vancouver. I've been there once and allthough it was many moons ago I do remember the breathtaking landscape.