We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos in Iceland in spring/summer?

Which Iceland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Mosquitos in Iceland in spring/summer?

Please help me and my husband choose a time to visit Iceland. We'd like to go in early summer (June or July), but we've been cautioned to check into whether there's a large and hungry mosquito population there at that time as well! In a lot of other northern countries we or friends have visited in spring/summer, mosquitos have been so severe that they did interfere with enjoyment at times. Any advice you can give about timing our trip would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 14
1. Re: Mosquitos in Iceland in spring/summer?

The guide on my trip to Lake Myvatn said that the usual greeting (in July) around the area is to say hello and wave the hand in front of the face, as if shooing away bugs. The noseeums, midges and/or mossies can be quite prevalent, and I've heard from some that bug shirts or hats are a necessity.

Haven't had a problem in RKV, though; it sounds as if tiny wildlife is most prevalent in the country, esp by bodies of water. Haven't seen any deerflies, either.

Delft, The...
2. Re: Mosquitos in Iceland in spring/summer?

I never had trouble with mosquitos, not even at Myvatn. I did have a few times trouble with little flies, but only very local. I always take a headnet when I go to Iceland but used it only three times in 8 holidays.

New York City, New...
reviews: 43
3. Re: Mosquitos in Iceland in spring/summer?

There are definitely some pesty bugs here and there in summer. It really varies depending on where you go and what the weather is like. I've heard that Lake Myvatn can be pretty bad when the sun is out, but if it's cloudy and windy you won't have too much trouble.

I was there in early July and never had any mosquito problems. A few waterfalls had gnats, noseeums and such, but not too bad. We never had a problem in the cities and towns.