We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st visit, need advice

Which Iceland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
altadena, ca
1st visit, need advice

I'm traveling to Iceland in late May. I plan on being there for 7 days in order to take in as much as possible. I would love to know what you consider a "must see" or "must do". Names of other cities/areas worth visiting besides Reykjavic would be appreciated, too. Thanks.

rf

altadena, ca

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
reviews: 15
1. Re: 1st visit, need advice

Some of my favourites include the Golden Circle (I'm a sucker for Gullfoss and Thingvellir), Svartifoss and Skaftafell National Park, Jokulsarlon, any chance to go for a snowmoble ride, but esp on Vatnajokull, spending an afternoon riding (there are some beautiful farms around Egilsstadir where you can hire a horse and guide - just fantastic countryside) and the black sand beaches near Vik.

If you have the time, head north to Akureyri, where you can see the lush botanical gardens, complete with tropical plants living not too far from the Arctic Circle. If you get the chance, take a day trip to Grimsey - the signpost for the Arctic Circle sits in a field of grass and flowers, with the sea as the backdrop - I was there in September and it was briliant, and I suspect it'd be even better in May.

Visit the Westman Islands or the West Fjords and do a bit of whale watching from Stykkisholmur. Lake Myvatn is fascinating, and Dimmubogir is worth a good long look too.

Top it off with a swim in the pool at Laugardalur when you get back to RKV. Great stuff.

Bethel Park, PA
reviews: 36
2. Re: 1st visit, need advice

We spent a week in Iceland in late May of 2006. We had an ambitious schedule to rent a car and follow the Ring Road around the country. Just prior to our arrival there was a big snowstorm that closed roads north of Reykjavik, forcing us to head south instead. I later learned the southern part of Iceland is the most beautiful and that our original intinerary would have forced us to rush through many of the best attractions. Don't miss Jokusarlon and Pingvellir. The beach at Vik is impressive. If you have ever visited Yellowstone or Rotura you will be disappointed in Geysir. In a country with so much natural beauty, the commercial Blue Lagoon can easily be bypassed. We hired a high wheel jeep to take us into Porsmork (believe me, don't try it on your own) and this was one of the highlights of our trip. Also, late May is a great time for whale watching tours. We saw over 25 Minke whales breaching on a 2 hr. excursion from Reykjavik.

3. Re: 1st visit, need advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:22 am, August 31, 2009