We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Forenom Apartments - Beware!

Which Turku hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lahaina, Hawaii
reviews: 10
Forenom Apartments - Beware!

we booked a one bedroom apartment in the center of town with wifi and a washer and dryer. we got a studio, we had to make out own beds, there was no wifi - we finally got a stick for our computer, the place was not in the center of town, we never saw a washer or dryer, there wasn;t even a bar of soap in the bathroom or a dish towel in the teeny kitchen - and we paid 111 euros per night. i tried to post a review on their booking page with no success so i thought i would post it here instead. just wanted to tell folks to be careful - we paid in advance so we had no recourse!

12 replies to this topic
Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
reviews: 43
1. Re: Forenom Apartments - Beware!

As far as I know Forenom apartments are flats rented out for temporary need of accomodation. They are not ment to be rented out for tourists and as mentioned don't include any services.

The fact that the flat did not meet the specs is surprising.

Tourists looking for accomodation should look elsewhere.

Lahaina, Hawaii
2. Re: Forenom Apartments - Beware!

The Forenom Apartments may be rented out for various reasons but we booked them through an online hotel booking agency. We wanted an apartment so we would have more space and amenities than a hotel room. Didn't happen.

Edited: 4:20 pm, August 05, 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 87
3. Re: Forenom Apartments - Beware!

As they keep saying in the air travel forum, it is safest to book directly with the service provider instead of a third-party (consolidator), since sorting out possible problems will be more straightforward if nothing else.

When I rented temporary accommodation directly from Forenom in Tampere, I had to acknowledge a lengthy agreement on which exact facilities and services were included and what I was going to be charged for them. If you never went through this step, it is possible that your online booking agency was not up to speed on how Forenom does business.

As far as I know, "serviced apartments" are unknown in Finland in the form that they exist e.g. in Bangkok, i.e. as compete blocks of flats rented out for short periods of time with quite uniform and high standard sets of complete furnishings, television, Internet and cleaning services even on a daily basis. In Finland companies like Forenom are renting out singleton apartments located in totally different buildings, which results in each apartment having quite different facilities and services available. For instance, some currently available apartments in Turku list Internet and linen change to be available as an "additional service" (for an extra fee subject to agreement); if such services are not explicitly mentioned, they won't be available at all. This difference can easily trip up travelers used to how serviced apartments work in larger destinations.

I would not go as far as polarbearfin and advice totally against this approach, but you need to deal directly with the rental company and pay attention to details if you want to be sure to get what you really expect for the price.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
reviews: 38
4. Re: Forenom Apartments - Beware!

Forenom's apartments are all available at booking.com - and at least here in Oulu they also run a budget hotel, too. Information on the services available in accommodation in booking.com is entered by the property owner/hotel itself, so they should certainly be up-to-date!

Lahaina, Hawaii
5. Re: Forenom Apartments - Beware!

Yes, the iformation should be up to date and accurate.

A srudio is NOT the same as a one bedroom apartment.

A place is in the center of town or it is not.

An apartment either has wifi or not.

Misleading and untrue information should not be on the website.

We have rented many vacation apartments through trip advisor and vrbo.com and never before had a problem.

Beware!.

Lahaina, Hawaii
6. Re: Forenom Apartments - Beware!

Just wanted to let folks know. We sent a complaint email detailing our grievances to the booking agent. Apparently the booking agent agreed with us and refunded us half the amount we paid. We think this is a fair and equitable settlement. 55 euros per night was about what we though the accomodations were worth.

Finland
7. Re: Forenom Apartments - Beware!

In the Finnish language the word studio (not sure what it would translate to) is not that common, we usually speak of apartments with one, two, three,... bedrooms. That might explain that one mistake.

The other mistakes are regrettable. Good to hear that the agent was fair.

Edited: 2:37 pm, August 13, 2012
Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
reviews: 38
8. Re: Forenom Apartments - Beware!

Regarding Finnish apartments: Finns do not really speak about the number of BEDrooms, but rooms in general. E.g. a Finnish two-room apartment would be elsewhere be considered a one bedroom apartment (containing a living room and a bedroom), or a Finnish three-room apartment can be considered a 2-bedroom apartment (with living room and two bedrooms). We use "yksiö" for a studio apartment in Finnish which may have caused the confusion, as yksiö litterally translates to one-room apartment, so the agent might have considered it to be a one-bedroom apartment while it only had one room in total (and as such should have been called a studio in English).

Edited: 4:54 pm, August 14, 2012
Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
reviews: 43
9. Re: Forenom Apartments - Beware!

Hmm, 'yksiö' is not a studio apartment, it's a room + separate kitchen apartment. Studio would be something like a room with open kitchen. Anyway a one bedroom apartment even in Finnish is would include 2 separated spaces.

Finland
10. Re: Forenom Apartments - Beware!

See, that's what I meant to say ;-)

Reply to: Forenom Apartments - Beware!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted