We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helsinki

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bangkok, Thailand
reviews: 4
Helsinki

Hi there,

I'm going to Helsinki in the beginning of June for 5 days. I booked Hostel Academica for the whole trip. Are there any supermarkets near the place? I have a limited budget, but I would like to explore this beautiful city. So, please suggest me what I should see and do there. Where I shouldn't miss in Helsinki? I'm not quite sure, but it the transportation isn't too expensive, I would like to go to the cities around there too. Any recommendation? Oh! where I can have a nice local food? All suggestion are welcome.

Thank you so much. ^__^

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
reviews: 50
1. Re: Helsinki

A day trip to Tallinn, Estonia would be the easiest and probably most interesting destination for a day trip. All your questions have been covered in this forum earlier, so go back on the forum, or use the search function above.

Rovaniemi, Finland
2. Re: Helsinki

"Oh! where I can have a nice local food?"

Can't give you an exact answer but if with "local food" you wish something like typical Finnish home food, try to find local lunch bars. Lunch is usually less than 10 euros, either plated or buffet, and it's as close to typical Finnish dinner as anything.

Locals could give you hints on nice lunch bars where they don't serve kebab or chinese but more traditional "home made" courses. Actually I might be interested on good choises also... :)

Helsinki, Finland
reviews: 36
3. Re: Helsinki

There are grocery stores nearby. One Valintatalo almost across the street from your hostel Academica. It's not a big store, but I'm sure you'll be able to replenish your stock of potato chips and soda. You are only a couple of blocks away from the Kamppi mall. There you can find K-Supermarket and Lidl. If you a looking for a huge supermarket take the tram 8 towards Ruoholahti. Get off at the Ruoholahti subway station tram stop, you'll see a mall called Kauppakeskus Ruoholahti. There's a Citymarket and also a relatively good alcohol store called Alko. Also one S-market grocery store near the subway station.

Kerava, Finland
reviews: 5
4. Re: Helsinki

Hi!

A nice small lunch restaurant nearby Academica is Restaurant Perho (on Perhonkatu corner of Mechelininkatu). It's the teaching restaurant of Helsinki Culinary School.

They serve a buffet lunch every weekday for only 9.70 e.

- On weekends they serve a larger buffet lunch for 17.50 e (Sat) and 26 e (Sun).

5. Re: Helsinki

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, March 09, 2014