We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helsinki visit this weekend!

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Europe
reviews: 1
Helsinki visit this weekend!

I'm heading to Tallinn this week with my boyf and we're planning to do a boat trip to Helsinki on the Sunday and stay the night.

How far away is the Radisson Seaside from the centre?

Do you recommend it?

Any other hotel recommendations that are around the £70/80 mark (or less!) ?

Also we're not familiar with what Helsinki has to offer. What sights should we check out and were are they in relation to the Radisson Seaside? Any if anyone has any recommendations on where to eat - I'd greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks!

Menlo Park...
reviews: 99
1. Re: Helsinki visit this weekend!

The hotel is in the center of Helsinki. However it is about one mile from the main shopping area and the Estonia ferries. There is a cafe that I liked a lot in Helsinki called Cafe Esplanad. It is almost next to the Akateeminen bookstore (part of Stockmann department store). Everyting there was very good and large portions. They have salads, sandwithches and Finnish pastries. Also the Stockman department store eatery is good. .

From the marketplace Kauppatori take a ferry to the island of Suomenlinna. An other nice place to walk around is a museum island of Seurasaari. Next to it are a few good cafes. You need to take a bus from Helsinki to get there. I forgot the number. Also for a quick bite go to the market place for food stalls.

Finland
reviews: 38
2. Re: Helsinki visit this weekend!

You can check out a selection of most popular sights here

www.hel2.fi/tourism/EN/ohjelmaa_kohteet.asp…

My personal favorites include Suomenlinna Maritime Fortress, Temppeliaukio, Church, Uspenski Cathedral, and Museam of Contemporary Art Kiasma.

Recommendations on where to eat. First of all, unfortunately many Helsinki restaurants are closed on Sundays. I have listed below a few restaurants (even some that are closed on Sunday, just in case you decide to stay for a few more days).

Demo

http://www.restaurantdemo.fi/demo_en

Classic menu with a modern twist. Very friendly service. Reservation recommended.

Not open on Sunday.

Sasso

www.palacekamp.fi/etusivu.asp…

Italian food

Not open on Sunday.

Teatteri

Their website is only in Finnish. The address is

Pohjoisespa 2, 00130 Helsinki

Tel. +358 9 681 1130

It's located right in the heart of Helsinki next to the Stockmann department store. You cannot miss it.

You can choose between great salads at Wine&Deli or a la carte.

Open on Sunday.

Maithai

http://www.maithai.fi/index.php?lang=eng

Thai food

Situated a bit further. Ie. still in the downtown area but not in the heart of downtown area.

Not open on Sunday.

Bar 9

http://www.bar9.net/menu.htm

It is such a great hangout place if you don't mind smoking.

I think they have the best chicken coriander stir fry in town.

Open on Sunday.

Ristorante Gastone

Website only in Finnish.

Address: Korkeavuorenkatu 45, 00130 HELSINKI

tel. +358 9 666 116

Basically next to Park Esplanadi.

Great Italian.

Open on Sunday.

If the weather is great on that day you might want to go to Cafe Carusel or Cafe Ursula near the Kaivopuisto Park by the sea. Note. these are more of cafes than restaurants. If it's warm and sunny you can easily spend an hour (or two) just enjoying a cop of coffee, reading a magazine and watching people and of course there's the sea view. (That's what I did last Sunday morning.)

Cafe Carusel

Website only in Finnish

Address: Merisatamaranta 10, 00150 Helsinki

Tel. +358 9 622 4522

Open on Sunday

Cafe Ursula

http://www.ursula.fi/site.php?page=122

Open on Sunday

Restaurant Nuevo

Website in Finnish

Address: Sofiankatu 4, 00170 Helsinki

Tel. +358 9 677 101

Spanish-inspired food.

Open on Sunday.

Hope these help!

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
reviews: 57
3. Re: Helsinki visit this weekend!

Any Radisson SAS in Helsinki is a good one. It's about 15mins brisk walk from the centre. Next to Lansi-Satama, where some of the Tallinn ferries come.

If you stay at Seaside, restaurant Merimakasiini across the street is a good choice. More robust is Salve ~100m from your hotel, don't put on your fancy dress ;)

There is a flee market ~150m from the hotel.