We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Finland for a few days in Aug/Sep

Which Helsinki hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Copenhagen, Denmark
Visiting Finland for a few days in Aug/Sep

My friend and I been invited to another friend's wedding in Finland which means we'll be there from Aug. 30th - Sep. 2nd. The wedding ceremony is on the 31st in Espoo and the party is in Rauma on the 1st, so a little travelling is going to be involved - due to this we'll probably be staying in Helsinki (also because we'll have all of Friday afternoon and evening with nothing to do).

I have a few questions in regards to my time in Helsinki.

1) Does anyone have a recommendation for a good hotel? We can at most afford €400 in all.

1b) I've been looking at the Scandic Paasi which opens in August. How is the location in regards to the city centre?

2) What is there to do in Helsinki on a Friday evening for two twenty-somethings (male and female)?

3) I've been told that there's a bus which goes from Helsinki to Rauma, anyone know how much this costs and how long the trip is?

3b) Would it be easier just to rent a car for two days and use that to get to both Espoo and Rauma?

Thanks so much for any help given!

Helsinki, Finland
reviews: 1
1. Re: Visiting Finland for a few days in Aug/Sep

2) Hotel Paasitorni is located in Hakaniemi. It's not in the city centre. I would take some hotel from the very central point; Examples: Sokos Chain: Vaakuna, Helsinki, Presidentti, Torni. Scandic Chain: Marski, Simonkenttä. Radisson Blu: Plaza, Royal.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
reviews: 43
2. Re: Visiting Finland for a few days in Aug/Sep

3b) Would it be easier just to rent a car for two days and use that to get to both Espoo and Rauma?

Depends a bit where in Espoo, but generally Espoo is well connected to Helsinki center.

For Rauma I'd estimate the cost to be about the same with a rental car or for 2 by bus. Absolutely more convenient, but do take into account that some weddings tend to be rather 'wet' so driving might not be the best option. Might even consider spending the night in Rauma.

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
reviews: 6
3. Re: Visiting Finland for a few days in Aug/Sep

The Espoo connection depends of the location. Espoo is huge and the transport options vary. For the Espoo part I wouldn't rent a car. You can prob get there well by bus. Do you know the place of the ceremony?

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
4. Re: Visiting Finland for a few days in Aug/Sep

And for the other program: What are your other interests? Clubbing, pub crawl?

Copenhagen, Denmark
5. Re: Visiting Finland for a few days in Aug/Sep

Thanks for everybody's help. I'll look into the hotels suggested.

I'll probably just rent a car, it seems like an easier option (I don't drink, so no worries about that :D)

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
6. Re: Visiting Finland for a few days in Aug/Sep

For program in Helsinki see http://www.wearehelsinki.fi/

This is more 20 something orieted than the usual tourist info

Copenhagen, Denmark
7. Re: Visiting Finland for a few days in Aug/Sep

Thanks!

8. Re: Visiting Finland for a few days in Aug/Sep

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, July 20, 2013