We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear in Rovaniemi?

Which Rovaniemi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
What to wear in Rovaniemi?

We are going to Lapland for the New Year. Any suggestions what to wear? The New Year celebration will be at Arctic Snow Hotel. Anybodu knows their dress code? Any input is appreciated

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
reviews: 56
1. Re: What to wear in Rovaniemi?

Dress code depends largely on whether it's in their Icerestaurant or Lumikartano restaurant. The latter is indoors, the previous one is made of snow and ice...

Even if it's indoors, the dresscode will be smart casual if any special dress code is even applied.

Website of the restaurants of the Arctic Snow Hotel: arcticsnowhotel.fi/icerestaurant-and-other-r…

Edited: 4:46 pm, November 28, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
Destination Expert
for Tallinn, Finland, Helsinki
reviews: 47
2. Re: What to wear in Rovaniemi?

Dress code is not really a concept in Finland. Particularly in places where there are lots of tourists, like Rovaniemi in the Christmas season, there is no problem with this. Nothing less outrageous than a gorilla suit or bikini will get you so much as blinked at. The smart casual zam that suggests will be fine.

Helsinki, Finland
reviews: 6
3. Re: What to wear in Rovaniemi?

I agree with JohntheFinn :) however, if you want to make it more like a celebration and wear a dress or a suit, that's fine as well!. We've spent three last New Years in Ylläs (going there this year as well) and we always put dresses and high heels on! :)

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 32
4. Re: What to wear in Rovaniemi?

Slightly different question but along the same lines. What does one wear to keep warm enough? Not sure what to wear/buy for December 2013 christmas trip to keep warm in Rovanemi and northern Norway. I'm from Australia so obviously don't have clothes that are warm enough here. Any tips/suggestions/recommendation on wear to buy locally in Finland would be great. Thanks

Chawleigh, null...
reviews: 8
5. Re: What to wear in Rovaniemi?

Hi Amanda. Check with the tour operator that you have booked with, as they may supply you with thermal suits.

We were given these upon arrival in Rovaniemi along with boots, gloves, socks and balaclavas.

The thermal suits are a padded all in one overall and i cant rate them highly enough, myself and my son were outside for hours in the evening at temps reaching -29 and we didn't feel the cold at all (apart from when i removed gloves to take photos!)

Underneath we wore reg underwear, then a layer of thermal undergarments (long sleeved,long-legged), and then fleece jumpers with jogging bottoms or lined combats.

Inside temps are very warm wherever you go so you either take your suit off or unzip the top part and tie around waist.

If you book any excursions (eg husky-ride or snowmobile) with Santa Safaris they were also taking coach loads of people to the same warehouse to collect suits and helmets etc

I hope this helps :-)

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
reviews: 57
6. Re: What to wear in Rovaniemi?

"Any tips/suggestions/recommendation on wear to buy locally in Finland would be great."

Visit to any large shopping mall or outdoor gear shop in Finland will carry adequate supply of winter gear you'll ever need. Could imagine that the availability of this type of clothing should be close to zero in Australia. The personnel will be able to assist you with your needs.

Finland
reviews: 11
7. Re: What to wear in Rovaniemi?

"Check with the tour operator that you have booked with, as they may supply you with thermal suits"

Well, I do not think there are tour operators in Australia who would sell Lapland package holidays and supply thermal suits...

Amanda, if you wish to find a package holiday, they are sold mostly by UK travel operators. You would need to fly to London and start your package holiday from there.

Instead, as you come from Australia I would encourage to look for independent travel as your primary option!

Rovaniemi, Finland
8. Re: What to wear in Rovaniemi?

Not sure what to wear on December 2013 either... :)

December is still early winter so it could be +5C windy and raining, -5C and snowing heavily or a nice and crisp -20C. This year December was OK (minus temperatures alltrough), but who knows what 2013 brings...

Don't take your summer shoes and summer jacket. Have a warm hat, warm gloves and a scarf and you are set to do shopping here. We have a compact town center and we rarely have extremely cold temperetares on December. If you don't have a winter jacket, take something windproof and stack an extra layer.

Sydney, Australia
reviews: 32
9. Re: What to wear in Rovaniemi?

thank you for your help.

would definately be travelling independently.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone

Chester, United...
reviews: 2
10. Re: What to wear in Rovaniemi?

What clothing is suitable for beginning of March? We will stay 1 week near Rovaniemi with old friends of my husband. May try ski and snowmobile and I like the sound of huskies - but as we prefer the less "organised" trips we will need our own gear/clothing