We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kittila Airport

Which Kittila hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Southampton, United...
reviews: 19
Kittila Airport

Does anyone know if there any plans in the pipeline to improve Kittila airport? Every year our charter flights take second place behind the Finnair scheduled flights and we end up with delays of up to 2 hours while the Finnair flights are turned around much quicker. Not much fun. Have a look at their website on any given Sunday. Today a couple of flights were almost 3 hour delay and lots more 90 minutes.

www.finavia.fi/airports/airport_kittila

12 replies to this topic
Moraira, Spain
reviews: 48
1. Re: Kittila Airport

We landed there today half an hour earlier than expected! Plenty of snow and although there was a couple of flights in we had our bags and was on the coach quite quick. No problems at all. It has got bigger since we last visited five years ago but with jet 2 flight and Inghams it was all pretty easy and straight forward.

Southampton, United...
2. Re: Kittila Airport

Hi,

The problems not getting in there its getting back out. All the return flights today were very late while the Finnair flights had much shorter delays. Have a good trip. We fly out with Inghams in 2 weeks, possibly on the same flight as you so at least arrival looks promising!!

Edited: 11:11 am, December 09, 2012
United Kingdom
reviews: 28
3. Re: Kittila Airport

We are flying with Finnair a week Tuesday, but all previous years have had charter flights, and never been delayed for more than an hour, in fact I don't even think it was a delay, just seemed like one due to the 2 hour before departure, and nowhere to sit, or nothing to do, but never really experienced the delays you mention.

Although, you watch, this year we will have a 4 hour delay coming home haha, but then again like I say we are flying Finair, so hopefully not :-)

Southampton, United...
4. Re: Kittila Airport

Hi Croc,

We were going to fly by Finnair this year but managed to get a couple of Inghams flights for £150 each when they were released a on December 29th last year. They went up to £500 the following day and now they are not even available. I think I was lucky with getting them for such a low price. I was reading in one of your previous posts about going independant. You are bang on!!! Seems that we have been rumbled by the tour operators though. LOL. Have a good trip. Ready for some clean air and relaxing week. Cant wait until 23rd!!!

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
reviews: 50
5. Re: Kittila Airport

You get what you pay for... or in this case what the airline/tour operator is willing to pay for the services. Surely all flights would take off on time if it was only up the airport operator. In most cases delays take place due to actions of the airlines - already before they reach Kittilä.

I find it "funny" that a number of delays of the charter flights (mostly from the UK) are explained by adverse weather conditions at a Lappish airport. Still Finnair and other local carriers are able to operate on time to/from that very same airport.

The current terminal building has been inaugurated in 2008, so I believe new extensions are not in sight in the immediate future. However, during its shortish history (40 years) the terminal building has been extended already 6 times, so you never know. On the other hand, outside the santa and ski season it is a very quiet airport...

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
6. Re: Kittila Airport

sorry a typo, the terminal building has only 30 years of history, not 40...

Southampton, United...
7. Re: Kittila Airport

All airlines pay for landing fees, ATC and ground handling by weight of aircraft. Its nothing to do if you are UK charter or Finnair. I do have some first hand experience how airports operate (The profile picture gives a clue)

As far as weather goes, I have never been delayed in Kittila by weather but what has caused delay is ground crews giving handling and de-icing priority to Finnair aircraft while we are sat on the ground for 90 minutes with the door opening waiting for a de-icing rig.

Sadly this beautiful part of Finland is becoming so popular now that all the services such as security, check-in and aircraft handling are getting pushed to the limit. As you say, the airport is quiet over the summer months so it not going to change any time soon.

Helsinki
Destination Expert
for Helsinki
reviews: 6
8. Re: Kittila Airport

Outside the snow season, there aren't even flights every day to Kittilä.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
9. Re: Kittila Airport

Yes sure, all airlines pay the authority fees in the same way, but on ground handling they have more room for negotiating - there are usually more than one company offering such services. (also in Kittilä airlines use either RTG or Airpro) However, I think that almost everywhere scheduled traffic has priority over the charter flights. Also Finnair's charter services have a poorer on-time performance than their scheduled services.

Finland
reviews: 10
10. Re: Kittila Airport

Some Kittilä airport statistics from 2011

Number of passengers

- domestic scheduled flights 166 640

- international scheduled flights 5 832

- international charter flights 64 952

Domestic traffic increased 17.8% from 2010

International traffic decreased 1.6% from 2010

There are more international flights in December than in all of the rest of the months combined.

Information source Finavia

Travel tip for less flight delays: Avoid December

Reply to: Kittila Airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted