We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back report - Yllas,10 Feb

Which Lapland hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
reviews: 17
Just back report - Yllas,10 Feb

Just a quick report following our first trip to Lapland

Travelled with Inghams - flight times great as arrived at Akaslompolo at 2 pm. Reps were very helpful and informative too... Not really a package holiday girl but very impressed with Inghams.

Stayed at theYllas Log Cabins (Yllasniesta). They are the best equiped self catering I have ever used. Wood burning stove and sauna both lovely after being out and about. Location is 20 minute walk from supermarket, in a very pretty spot. Would absolutely recommend them.

When we arrived the temperature was minus 30, bbbrrrr! Once we had thermal suit and boots it was fine though. Got milder later in the week,around minus 5. Loads of snow -locals advise more than normal for this time.

Akas itself was perfect for us pretty,with enough places to eat out. Found it to be expensive,6.50 euros for a beer, 80 euros for nice meal for two. (Pizzas/burgers etc more affordable). Wine and spirits from the alko store were fine, not much more than home. We enjoyed the restaurant next to the sports bar, and poro, and the pizza place opposite the supermarket. Juillis get lots of praise on here - i found it okay, more chips than you could eat with the burgers, but nothing special.

Lots to do - we used Snow Fun Safaris for must -they were fantastic. Prices perhaps slightly more expensive than Inghams but we wanted safaris, so was worth it for us. Groups were very small too - only me and my partner on snowmobiles which was great (got to go nice and fast :) ). Husky and snowmobile and huskies were the highlights, reindeer was okay (but felt it was not so good value as the other two).

Booked Ski Lesson through Inghams - first time on skis for me. Again, just the two of us, so lots of attention from Mika the instructor. I was rubbish, but it was great fun!

Snow village is defo worth a visit - stunning. .... Inghams were good value for this - £29 each, compared with £120 for a taxi plus entrance fee.

Finally, we were delighted to see the aurora twice. Go to the lake to avoid the light polution. On the second night it danced for well over an hour, I feel so lucky to have experienced it. (The street lights went out at 10 pm, but think that may have stopped now that it is high season).

So, thanks for everyones' help on this forum - if anyone planning to go has any questions please give me a shout.

Will certainly be back to Lapland, loved the people and the place, very special holiday.

Northampton
reviews: 6
1. Re: Just back report - Yllas,10 Feb

Hi AileenLScotland.

Glad you enjoyed your trip, it is a lovely place up there, my favorite as i've been back quite a few times.

As for prices, well, its getting simliar everywhere, paid €5 for a beer in Austria, but the prices are outweight by the scenery & poeple like you say.

Nice not to be crowded on the slopes either, sometimes you have the slope to yourself.

Roll on next year.

Southampton...
2. Re: Just back report - Yllas,10 Feb

It's my favourite resort as well, we have just returned from our 3rd visit and already planning for next year.

3. Re: Just back report - Yllas,10 Feb

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 21, 2014