We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Student going to Kuopio

Which Kuopio hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northumberland
reviews: 4
Student going to Kuopio

My daughter is travelling to Kuopio in August, she will be staying for ten monthsas a student. How expensive are clothes there? Would it be better to buy warm clothes in England before she goes or wait until she gets there? How expensive is it to eat there and what are the local foods?

Espoo, Finland
reviews: 5
1. Re: Student going to Kuopio

As a rule, the UK and Finland are on about the same level when it comes to the prices of things... Finland might even be a bit cheaper.

Clothes, definitely buy them from Kuopio. It will be good if she has some basics with her when she comes over, buying any of the heavy stuff from the UK would be silly, though. As Finland is way colder than the UK, we will have clothes that are better qualified and equipped to handle the cold. As a practical example, a dear friend of mine from Australia came to Finland , and I'm talking about Helsinki which is not nearly as cold as Kuopio, in February and she had bought winter boots from Melbourne, where they also have winter sports and snow every now and then. When she came here and it went way down to -20°C, her feet froze in those shoes. And trust me, Kuopio will get loads colder than that.

So, it is just not practical to carry all that luggage from the UK. It will cost a tiny fortune and she will find better quality stuff in Kuopio. She will soon find out that if she does bring a fancy winter coat from the UK with her, she will manage until October, maybe, and then she will either have to buy a new winter coat or not leave the house for the rest of the winter. Same goes for everything else.

I'm sorry to be a bit mean here but I really don't want that your daughter will hate her time here if she's freezing all the time. I mean, we Finns are not immune to the cold either and we have tons and tons of clothes on whenever we go out in the winter.

I'll put some encouraging websites I found here for more info!

www.finland.fi/netcomm/news/showarticle.asp… - how to survive the winter in Finland

www.suomi.fi/suomifi/english/index.html - Finland info

Tirpula

Northumberland
reviews: 4
2. Re: Student going to Kuopio

Thank you very much for your reply Tirpula - just the information we needed. Don't think we really imagind how cold it will be. She is really looking forward to her trip and you have made it easier with the infomation you have given us.

Kind regards.

Paris, France
reviews: 60
3. Re: Student going to Kuopio

Oh lucky!!! Your daughter will have the time of her life there... i went also to Finland as exchange student and loved it so much that I stayed there nearly 3 years...

I wish sometimes I could turn back time of a couple of years and live again those wonderful years I had there...

Enjoy Finland

MissMarLa

4. Re: Student going to Kuopio

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:32 am, September 06, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Kuopio