We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice/suggestions for Gothenburg with a young child

Which Gothenburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mataro
reviews: 19
Advice/suggestions for Gothenburg with a young child

I'm travelling to Gothenburg this April with a young child (4) and would like any suggestions on places to visit, eat, things to do and an idea on the weather. I live in southern Europe so need to know about clothes to take.. Any advice and/or suggestions would be welcome.

Gotland, Sweden
reviews: 9
1. Re: Advice/suggestions for Gothenburg with a young child

I think your child would enjoy Universeum, it is a science center with different animals and other interesting things to see there.

If it is nice weather, visit "Slottskogen" which is a park. Childen's zoo would be closed for the season and will open in may. But you and your child would still be able to see several other animals. Like seals and penguins. You can also just stroll around and maybe have a picnic. There are a couple of playgrounds too.

If you would be interested in botanic gardens, there is one near Slottskogen. There is also a natural history museum nearby. So you could spend a whole day visiting the museum, botanic garden and Slottskogen.

Many younger kids also enjoy the Maritime Museum & Aquarium.

When it comes to weather, it is usually nice weather in april. Normally 5-15 degrees (celsius). As Gothenburg is a coastal city, it may be a good idea to bring an umbrella even if it doesn't rain everyday.

Gothenburg, Sweden
reviews: 30
2. Re: Advice/suggestions for Gothenburg with a young child

Indeed, Universeum and Slottskogen are excellent suggestions. I would add the floating maritme museum (www.maritiman.se) and the amusement park Liseberg (opens on the 28th april, though). Aeroseum is great for kids and adults (www.aeroseum.se/english). Most kids enjoy the boat tours with Paddan or Lotsen.

Gothenburg, Sweden
reviews: 2
3. Re: Advice/suggestions for Gothenburg with a young child

I agree with ma65 and cherryxgirl on what to see! I would also like to add Sjöfartsmuséet, there's a cool aquarium and I LOVED the place as a kid. There's a play room there as well.

If you decide to go to Sjöfartsmuséet, stop by for a coffee or lunch at Café Zenit (www.cafekartan.se/01402/Zenit_Kaf%C3%A9/). There's a nice playground close to the café.

Sjöfartsmuséet:

http://www.goteborg.se/wps/portal/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gj42AT12AXYwN_IGngaebuGxZmbmxgEGYAlI8Eypt6BzoZeRkbuLtZmhl4enuEWIb4BRv4exgRo9vZ3dHDxNzHwMDCxN3AwNPEyd_PwznQ0MDTmIBuP4_83FT9gtzQiHJHRUUA3dUVZg!!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfMjNTNEVTRDMwT0VTRDBJNkdNVlY3MzBHTzE!/?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=

Gothenburg, Sweden
4. Re: Advice/suggestions for Gothenburg with a young child

One place I would not go again is the LEK BUS LANDET. From leaflet is seems huge. But there, it is not that big. Place is "decadent" personnel can ot speak Englsih (or make sure thaey are not interest in doig that). When you try hard to ask something to the girl at entrance it is so awful the two guys in her back speaking russian (making joke?). After all, the toys (carrousel, and others, are just ONE per time every ONE hour. On the leaflet it ssounds that they are available... Whathappens is for example: carrusel at 12. Flying toy at 13. Something at 14. At 15 BRAEK. At 16 something, etc etc.

The lock lugage compartments are paid, and unlike other places in Sweden or Nordics, the money DO NOT return back. So everytime you need to go and pick something from the lugagge in fact you need to open the comparment and pay again if you want to close it....

All in all, just an indoor, playground for 120crowns with bad servive when in Seden there are plenty of outdoor activities almost for free!

Gothenburg, Sweden
5. Re: Advice/suggestions for Gothenburg with a young child

The name of the place is lek & buslandet or lek och buslandet in swedish.

Gothenburg, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Gothenburg
reviews: 15
6. Re: Advice/suggestions for Gothenburg with a young child

Well there are other indoor playgrounds in Gothenburg, one located in Torslanda, easy accessible by a twenty-five minute bus ride from the city. It's called Bushuset 2, and much less crowded and much nicer atmosphere. That also applies for the staff and visitors as well. It's called" Bushuset"

http://www.bushuset.se/default.asp

They also have one located closer to the city, about a tem minute tram ride.

EK

7. Re: Advice/suggestions for Gothenburg with a young child

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, June 18, 2013