We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help needed with overnight stop from Stockholm to Gothenburg

Which Gothenburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 31
Help needed with overnight stop from Stockholm to Gothenburg

We will be visiting Sweden for one week at the beginning of June 2011 and hiring a car for a couple of days for the journey from Stockholm to Gothenburg. I can't decide whether break the journey up with an overnight stay lakeside in Karlstad (or similar) or do the journey in one day and have overnight stop north of Gothenburg on one of the archipelago or coastal towns - any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

Göteborg
1. Re: Help needed with overnight stop from Stockholm to Gothenburg

I don't have any advice on hotels etc, but if you want to get to Gothenburg as fast as possible, the best route is via Jönköping. (But perhaps you want to see something special in Karlstad?)

Ronneby, Sweden
reviews: 369
2. Re: Help needed with overnight stop from Stockholm to Gothenburg

I would choose to stay one night north of Gothenburg instead of choosing an overnight stay in Karlstad. There are plenty of wonderful places to stay all over the archipelago area.

If you are to make it to Stockholm to a reasonable pace I would recommend Marstrand since it is close to Gothenburg and you might be able to have a full day sightseeing and still be able to go the fastest way possible to Stockholm the next day (which isn't through Karlstad). If this doesn't matter I would head for Smogen, the islands of Orust and Tjorn or if you're into UNESCO World Heritage sites, Tanum/Vitlycke with its amazing rock carvings.

Some inspirational links:

http://www.vastsverige.com/en/Marstrand/

…vastsverige.com/templates/default____2311.a…

www.vitlyckemuseum.se/Kultur_Default.aspx…

reviews: 31
3. Re: Help needed with overnight stop from Stockholm to Gothenburg

Thanks for your advice :)

4. Re: Help needed with overnight stop from Stockholm to Gothenburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 08, 2011