We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Confusion?? Oh boy do I need help!!!

Which Stockholm hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
reviews: 6
Airport Confusion?? Oh boy do I need help!!!

I am looking to fly from London to Stockholm via Ryanair. The airports for Stockholm are simply listed as NYO and VST. I have no clue what airports these codes are for and they don't seem to corresponde to any known airports. Can anyone help? Does anyone know how far from Stockholm these airports actually are and if they are easily accessible by train or bus???

We really want to go to Stockholm, but we are wondering if travel connections between there and London are majorily lengthy and complicated???

Solna
1. Re: Airport Confusion?? Oh boy do I need help!!!

NYO is Skavsta airport and VST is Västerås. Both airports are about one and a half hours (give or take) by road from central Stockholm and both have pretty reasonably priced coach services which run in conjunction with Ryanair flights, so there is no real complication involved in getting to Stockholm. Of course depending on how you get from London to either Stansted or Luton, this could make your travel time considerably longer and then you have to factor in the additional costs of transportation to and from the airport (sometimes the ticket doesn't seem so cheap then ;)).

For comparison purposes, the main Stockholm airport Arlanda, to which most of the "major" airlines fly (including BA and SAS from London) is about 40 minutes by road from central Stockholm, with similarly priced buses to those from Skavsta and Västerås or the much faster but also more expensive Express train to get you into the city. If you're thinking of coming here for a short visit I would look into British Airways prices too (in my experience there's sometimes not too much price difference), but otherwise I'd say don't be put off by the distance of Ryanair's airports from the city - I've used Skavsta airport a lot and the buses have always run like clockwork.

Glasgow, United...
2. Re: Airport Confusion?? Oh boy do I need help!!!

Hi there

Ryanair use smaller airports generally located a bit further out from the destination cities than the main established airports. So travel times can therefore be a bit longer.

Having said that, the low prices make up for this, and having used Ryanair many times without problem, I wouldn't worry about it.

The coaches are often timed to coincide with the Ryanair flight arrival times and have always been very well organised when I've used them. You also get the added advantage of seeing a bit more of the countryside of the place you are visiting !...except if its night-time obviously ;-)

I'm guessing the flight from London leaves from Stanstead airport?

If so, there is a direct train service from Liverpool Street station to Stanstead. If you're arriving into London Gatwick or Heathrow on the same day you intend to fly on to Stockholm from Stanstead, then you need to make sure you allow plenty of time to transfer as the airports are on completely different sides of London. This is probably the most complicated part of the trip, the transfer from Skavsta to Stockholm will be a breeze in comparison.

By the way, I am flying to Skavsta with Ryanair next week, so will post an update when I get back

Hope this helps.

Somerset UK
Destination Expert
for Devon
reviews: 161
3. Re: Airport Confusion?? Oh boy do I need help!!!

A lot depends here on whether you're already be in London or are going to Stockholm via London.

If you're flying from the States you'll probably be coming via Heathrow or Gatwick in which case I wouldn't bother with Ryanair but fly with BA or SAS to Arlanda where the shuttle train runs every 15 minutes with a journey time of 20 minutes to the central station.

If however you'll be starting from London then maybe Ryanair is a better bet.

3 things to take into consideration are:

1. Are you a member of any frequent flyer or air miles schemes?

2. There are far more flights with SAS and BA than Ryanair and

3. Have you thought about baggage allowances? I've never flown with Ryanair but I suspect their baggage allowance will be lower than BA or SAS.

Whatever you choose you'll enjoy Stockholm. We spent 4 days there last year and look forward to going back to see the parts we missed earlier.

Michigan
4. Re: Airport Confusion?? Oh boy do I need help!!!

Oh, thank you all so much for your help. We will be spending 4 or 5 days in London before flying on to Stockholm. I hadn't realized the airports were so far outside of Stockholm, but as long as I get a window seat on the bus I will be very very happy watching Sweden roll by!!!

Since you are all so nice...what area is the best to stay in? We usually stay at 3 star type places...most importantly we like to stay in the thick of things. I love having the world right outside my door.

Happy New Year to EVERYONE!!!

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
reviews: 117
5. Re: Airport Confusion?? Oh boy do I need help!!!

Most things have been covered but other things to be aware of:

The Västerås service doesn't start until late March.

The Ryanair baggage allowance is 15kg for checked in luggage and 10kg for cabin baggage. You pay for the checked in baggage so try to keep it all in one bag otherwise you have to pay extra. They're very tight on their limits and you pay by the kilo for anything over 15kg.

You can get a discount on the Liverpool Street - Stansted Airport express by booking the train ticket via the Ryanair website. You'll need your flight confirmation code when you book.

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
reviews: 117
6. Re: Airport Confusion?? Oh boy do I need help!!!

A quick addition.

There's an airline called Sterling that now flies from Gatwick to Arlanda. Only one flight a day in each direction. I checked a some dates last night and they actually beat Ryanair on price a few times.

Glasgow, United...
7. Re: Airport Confusion?? Oh boy do I need help!!!

Hi Babe (sorry, that sounds a bit over-familiar! hope you dont mind)

Have just returned from Stockholm and had a great time.

Dont worry about the transfer from NYO (Skavsta), it was very easy. We flew Ryanair from Glasgow and there were coaches waiting for the flight. You buy tickets in the departure hall, so when you arrive you come out of arrivals cross the car-park and re-enter the airport Departures entrance. The desk for the bus tickets is on your left. The cost was 199 kroner for a return.

The bus into Stockholm took about 1hr 15 mins, but took a bit longer on the way back (about 1 hr 40 mins) as it made 2 stops. So make sure you allow enough time on the return. The Central bus station has the timetable for return coaches.

With regard to where to stay. We stayed at the Mornington Hotel in Ostermalm, and I would recommend it both in terms of a comfortable place to stay for a reasonable price and also for a convenient location close to all the attractions. I got a good deal on Expedia.com where I got the 3rd night free. I paid a bit extra for a Superior room, and to be honest it was really what you'd expect for a standard double so I'd imagine their standard rooms might be a bit small.

Anyway, hope this helps and I'd definitely recommend going to Stockholm as it was a wonderful city and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Tokyo, Japan
8. Re: Airport Confusion?? Oh boy do I need help!!!

All,

I hope you don't mind me jumping onto this thread, but when flying Ryan air, do the buses still run if you have a 7:00 am flight to Frankfurt from NYO airport? The flights to and from Frankfurt are cheap and I would like to take advantage, but that early flight out of Stockholm scares me. Thanks,

Solna
9. Re: Airport Confusion?? Oh boy do I need help!!!

There's always a bus associated with each flight, so the short answer is yes. However, you'll have to be prepared to either stay up all night or get up very early, since you'll have to get the bus from central Stockholm at 03.55 or 04.00!

The timetable for Skavsta airport is here: www.flygbussarna.se/tidtabeller/skavsta_s.pdf

10. Re: Airport Confusion?? Oh boy do I need help!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, August 22, 2009