We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Compare Stockholm to Helsinki and Oslo

Which Stockholm hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City
reviews: 6
Compare Stockholm to Helsinki and Oslo

I plan on being in each and would like your thoughts and opinions on each;

1. how expensive each is compared to the other

2. how friendly (or unfriendly), helpful, etc., the people are in each

3. ways and customs of the people

4. nightlife in each city

5. airport to city centre (distance, ease, price)

6. Any other info you may want to add.

Thank you!!! :)

Lund, Sweden
1. Re: Compare Stockholm to Helsinki and Oslo

1. Oslo is one of the worlds most expensive cities so there you have your winner in that category, dont know exactly about helsinki right now, for beeing sweden sthlm is expensive but on the other hand not comapred to lets say London.

2. People from Norway, the ones I met have been very nice and I felt very nicly treated when I were in Oslo.

3. Can you be clearer?

4. I definitly think Stockholm has the best nightlife of the 3.

5. I can only answer for sthlm the airport is 20 minutes from city center with train. But Im sure the times for Helsingfors and Oslo will be easy to find on the net.

6. Stockholm are one of the most beautiful capitals of europe Oslo and Helsinki is nothing special. I know loads of people in Oslo, even they dont think its something really to visit, If I would go to a city in Norway I would go to Bergen (if you dont have loads of time) if you only see Oslo you have really missed something in one of the worlds most beauitiful countries.

Enjoy

New York City
2. Re: Compare Stockholm to Helsinki and Oslo

Sorry if I wasn't so clear. What I meant, by question #3 is, are the people very quiet and reserved? Are they talkative and sociable when a stranger speaks politely to them? I hear that the people dress well most of the time. Is this true?

For example, people in Milan, Italy were quiet rude to in the way they carried themselves. Cutting you in line, slamming into you as they walked and not saying a word, etc... That was quite commonplace there. Are people more respectful and polite in Stockholm?

I'm just asking because I've never been to Stockholm. Most of what I hear though is that I will love the people and the city.

Lund, Sweden
3. Re: Compare Stockholm to Helsinki and Oslo

Its always hard when you are from a country and speak the lenguage to really judge the friendlyness of the people. I spend alot of time in Paris and I know many find people there a bit harsh, mostly I think because of a combination of lenguage barriers and diffrent cultures, whats polite in one culture might not be in another. But if I try to be a bit objective I think that you will find swedish people friendly and correct, but maybe not loving (with loving meaning letting you eat int here home, sharing all they got), the same goes for the other nordic countries, even though danish people are a bit diffrent.

New York City
4. Re: Compare Stockholm to Helsinki and Oslo

Really? How so? I've been to Copenhagen and, from what I hear at least, the Danes are more laid back than Swedes, or so it seems. But what do I know?

How are Danish people different than the other Nordic countries inyour eyes?

Lund, Sweden
5. Re: Compare Stockholm to Helsinki and Oslo

As you say. Danish people are more realxed, I live 30 minutes from Copenhagen, just crossing the sound you can really feel the diffrence. I think Danish people when it comes from everything to drinking behavior, style etc are more like people in the netherlands or belgium than people in Norway or Sweden. Danish people dont live very long compared to other europeans, but accordning to research they are the happiest in the world, ofcause you have to be critical about how this kind of research is done but stil I think it says something!

I love copenhagen and I go as often as I can, but maybe one negative thing with some danish is that they dont liek swedish, so sometimes people can be a bit rude, but I really think that is only if you are swedish, and so many are so nice that on a whole is positive.

Best Regards

Emma

London
reviews: 1
6. Re: Compare Stockholm to Helsinki and Oslo

Why not just go and see whats its like!?

Thats why people travel these days to discover something new and different!

People who live in NYC are different then people in San Fransisco then in LA then in Miami! Just go with the flow and have fun!

London
reviews: 1
7. Re: Compare Stockholm to Helsinki and Oslo

Well i just got back from stockholm on sunday went for 3 days, was amazing i thought. great sites to see definetly go see the Vasa Museum its worth looking at.

the weather is cold but its just different plus you get snow. People wise i found them to be friendly, and talkative i meet a number of people every day.

They will always help you out, in fact they like it when you come up to them well most any way. Nghtlife in the city is pretty good though you may feel some what confused things normally kick of there late like 11-12pm like i was in a bar called laroy good one by the way. we got there 11pm but was empty but by 12 pm the place was kicking full of beautiful girls, and easy to talk to as well. alot of places near ostermalm area.

well city centre is 20minutes by train and 40 mins by bus, thats from arlanda airport. prices would be 95 sk that about £7 for bus and double for train i think.

its definetely a place i would go back even next year.

AS for transport we just walked around the whole of stockholm didnt need to use any public transport. its more fun that way and gret to know the layout of the land, plus gives you reason to talk to pepole to find out things.

stockholm u don't really need to

New York City
8. Re: Compare Stockholm to Helsinki and Oslo

Skrut,

I plan on going. Just trying to find out any helpful info I can before I get there!! : ) I know this is quite a few questions. Sorry if it annoyed you.

Thanks to the last fellow with all that info. I do plan on going out at night and talking to people as well as at other times. I'm a people person so this is good to know.

Thank you everyone!! I greatly appreciate it !!!! : )

9. Re: Compare Stockholm to Helsinki and Oslo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 pm, August 17, 2009