We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vegetraian In Stockholm With Non-veggie Family

Which Stockholm hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Madrid, New Mexico
reviews: 10
Vegetraian In Stockholm With Non-veggie Family

Hi! I am a strict vegetarian from the US traveling with 3 other family members (besides myself 2 others are from the US, the 4th is Swedish) who are non-veggie and not very picky :) I have read many reviews of veggie restaurants in Stockholm but I am specifically looking for recommendations for restaurants that are not veggie but have vegan options (I am not strictly vegan but I do not like cheese, I just don't, I know this is unusual. Also, I eat eggs in baked dishes but do not like eggs on their own or eggy dishes such as quiches, popovers, or french toast). I am looking for options beyond just a salad, preferably a restaurant with one or two vegetarian options that are not just salads and not pre-made dishes containing cheese. (Pizzas are options as long as I can order them without cheese as well as any other dish that is made to order and can omit the cheese).

I know this is a lot to ask for and I have been reading TONS of reviews and restaurant menus online. I understand that it is my responsibility (as it is with anyone who has dietary restrictions) to make sure dishes are compatible with my diet and I am trying to do as much research in advance as I can. I am trying to learn some basic Swedish in order to get around and I am trying to learn what words I should look out for on menus and avoid or use to help Servers help me find dishes I can eat.

That being said, I was hoping someone may be kind enough and able to offer some suggestions based on their experience in Stockholm. It would be helpful for me to be able to ultimately compile at least a small list of restaurants for each area we visit (we are not sure yet what areas we want to visit, we're still in the planning stages so any recommendations are welcome) that are enjoyable options for all of us in advance so we don't waste time trying to read menus that will not be applicable to us all (we have done this in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, NYC, Maryland, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, etc... it is always helpful to know options in advance). I want create a list of as many possibilities in advance so as to be prepared and be able to spend our time shopping, appreciating the scenery, and enjoying our time together instead of wasting time by struggling to read menus.

That all being said, my family is not opposed to 1 or 2 meals at entirely vegetarian restaurants as long as they are very good.

Thank you for any help you may offer, it will be sincerely appreciated! :)

7 replies to this topic
Stockholm, Sweden
1. Re: Vegetraian In Stockholm With Non-veggie Family

I don't think you need to worry about learning certain things in Swedish, I would say all the restaurants have menus in english and Swedes can speak and understand english well. My sister is a vegetarian and whenever they come to visit I think it is quite easy for her to find something on the menu in most places. Oh anjd I am somewhat you might call a picky eater and there is no problem with my can I get it without this and instead of that..

Eventhough the rest of your family members are not vegetarians/vegans I would recommend a visit to gastrogate.com/restaurang/hermans/page/8/. It is located by a hill with some magnificent views as well as the food is excellent even for those who are real meatlovers!

One of my favourite indian restaurant Shanti has some good options for you and it has currently locations in Södermalm (Katarina Bangata 58 ) and Vasastan (Rörstrandsgatan 23).

Supper seems to have ok vegetarian alternatives as well and I like the laid back feeling of it. Located in Tegnérgatan 37 and here is the menu supper.nu/wp-content/…meny-2013.pdf.

Stockholm Tapas has 2 locations (Kungsholmen and Vasastan) and I mostly eat vegetarian here, I dont know why though :) http://sthlmtapas.se/food-beverage/.

Nybrogatan 38 is a "newish" restaurant in Östermalm you could also check out www.nybrogatan38.com/meny/evening-menu/.

Cafe Rival is one of my favourite breakfest/lunch places in the city www.rival.se/template_1.aspx?lid=2&pid=18.

When you have some areas planned and so forth let us know so we can come up with some more suggestions! :)

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 50
2. Re: Vegetraian In Stockholm With Non-veggie Family

I agree that you should visit Hermans. I'm not a vegetarian but love that place even if they only have vegetarian food.

You can also try Vapiano: They have very good pasta and several ones that are vegetarian. You can find Vapiano in Old Town, City, and Södermalm.

Those are just two options. I think that most restaurants in Sweden have vegetarian options beyond salads, so finding good food will hopefully be quite easy.

mediterranean
reviews: 27
3. Re: Vegetraian In Stockholm With Non-veggie Family

What an interesting thread for me too - thank for opening it, greyhoundgrrrl (I love your picture!).

I can't eat eggs or cow dairy products apart for some hard cheeses (I do eat goat cheese and yogurt).

Are there any Swedish vegan sweet pastries and desserts you can recommend? Is soy or other non-dairy milk readily available in cafes and grocery stores? What about the famous Swedish bread I'm reading about (some people rave it's the best bread ever) - is it vegan? most breads are, I assume, but I'd like to make sure.

Thanks!

Stockholm, Sweden
4. Re: Vegetraian In Stockholm With Non-veggie Family

Don't know any special vegan sweet pastries or desserts but soy milk is easy to find in the local grocery stores but not that common in cafés.

Famous Swedish bread? You mean ryebread? I would not say the swedes are the most famous for it, I think swedish bread is nothing compared to the danish or finnish versions :D And yes, normal ryebread should always be vegan friendly.

Stockholm, Sweden
5. Re: Vegetraian In Stockholm With Non-veggie Family

I have to say that some cafés in the city do have soy milk if you ask for it. It's not uncommon that people want it in their caffé latte. Some places do also have oat milk, but that is less common.

Hm, what bread are you talking about? Is it crispbread?

Swedish pastries. Don't know about that. We're not known for pastries. Trying to think of any desserts, but can't think of any. There are two berries that you should try. Cloudberry and lingonberry. They are at times used in desserts. Lingonberry can also be served with food.

mediterranean
reviews: 27
6. Re: Vegetraian In Stockholm With Non-veggie Family

Not sure what bread... to prepare for my upcoming trip to Stockholm I've been reading trip reports on the web of people visiting Sweden and a few have mentioned the Swedish bread as being especially good and memorable. I don't think it's crispbread though, could be rye.

I'd love to try all the berries I can find - I love berries! - will there be several varieties of fresh berries in the grocery stores in mid-May?

And if anyone is looking for more info on vegan or vegetarian eating in Stockholm, there's this resource: www.happycow.net/europe/sweden/stockholm/

Stockholm, Sweden
7. Re: Vegetraian In Stockholm With Non-veggie Family

There will be berries in the grocery stores, but not Swedish ones if we are talking about fresh ones. Things grow slow here. Both lingonberry and cloudberry ripen in autumn. You should be able to find lingonberry and cloudberry jam, or products containing the berries.

Reply to: Vegetraian In Stockholm With Non-veggie Family
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted