We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

By myself, first time in Stockholm - some questions

Which Stockholm hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
mediterranean
reviews: 27
By myself, first time in Stockholm - some questions

Hello,

I'll be in Stockholm by myself next month for a work-related visit. This is my first time ever in Stockholm/Sweden.

I need to be at the Karolinska Institutet every day and also in the evenings.

I have been looking for a place to stay that will be within walking distance and within my budget - 100 Euro (900 Krona) per night - but found nothing.

Do you have any suggestions? Should I look further away and rely on public transportation to get to and from the Institute? How easy/safe/pleasant it would be at night for a single female? I need someplace that would be feasible to go back to in the afternoon to change clothes/rest a while before going back in the evening.

Maybe I worry too much, but I decided against renting an apartment through Airbnb (although I had really good experience with that in the past but I wasn't alone then) and the Omena hotel for personal safety reasons.

A second question - my flight to Stockholm arrives on a Sunday at 1pm. I assume it will be around 3pm by time I get to my hotel (wherever it may be) - I'd love to see the city, eat/buy some great food etc. Any recommendations? I understand most things are closed Sunday afternoon (including the big food markets which I'd hate to miss - I absolutely love food markets and big grocery stores in foreign countries).

Any other advice would be much appreciated!

Stockholm...
reviews: 8
1. Re: By myself, first time in Stockholm - some questions

Hi,

You might be able to stay at IBIS Styles Järva Krog, some 850 SEK per night for a single room, check out their website http://www.ibisstyles.se/stockholm-jarva/

You will probably need to walk around 250-500 meters to a bus stop from the hotel, I drive by that area every day and it's a highway with some hotels and a gas station + office buildings and apartments nearby.

With public transportation you have plenty of options, including walking it should be around 15-35 minutes one-way depending on when you want to go, check out http://sl.se/en/visitor/plan-your-journey/ for travel options, you definitely want to buy a travel pass for a month anyways.

You can buy a SL travel pass at Arlanda Airport, ask any info desk or go to "Pressbyrån". Then it's bus 592 from the terminal to Stockholm C and hop off at Järva Krog.

The airport coach "Flygbussarna" from Arlanda Airport will also stop at Järva Krog (500m from your hotel) if you take the Arlanda-Cityterminal line, more info here http://www.flygbussarna.se/arlanda

Hope this helps!

Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 50
2. Re: By myself, first time in Stockholm - some questions

I don't know between what dates you will be here, but I think you should search all over Stockholm and use public transportation to reach Karolinska. It's the best option. It's safe to use public transportations here, and most people in Stockholm use it.

Regarding your second question. No, most things aren't closed in the afternoon on Sundays. Many shops are open to about 6-7 PM on Sundays, and grocery stores are open to about 8-10 PM.

London
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
reviews: 24
3. Re: By myself, first time in Stockholm - some questions

I would recommend the Elite Plaza on St Eriksgatan which is walking distance from the hospital. Or the Courtyard Marriott from where you can take the no 3 bus straight to Karolinska.

Ibis Järva Krog sounds like a pretty depressing experience, only stay there if you cannot afford anything better.

Supermarkets are open late even on Sundays so finding food will not be a problem at all.

mediterranean
4. Re: By myself, first time in Stockholm - some questions

Thanks all!

MrTheTraveller - I will be in Stockholm between 11-15 of May.

I looked again at the different hotels on the map, and I think it is better to expand my hotel budget and not travel 30 minutes 2-4 times a day to/from Karolinska (although I got excited about the possibility of staying in an ex-cruise-ship-turned-hotel near Gamla Stan).

ChristianB - the Elite Plaza looks good, I will look up the Marriott you mentioned as it didn't come up on my searches so far (maybe there no available rooms for my dates - but I will re-check).

Any other recommendations and advice will be most welcome!

Enjoy your upcoming weekend (-:

Stockholm...
reviews: 8
5. Re: By myself, first time in Stockholm - some questions

Oh, I thought you were going to stay for a whole month (that's way I recommended IBIS Styles since that's probably the only hotel under 900 SEK per night where you find free rooms for a month). For 4 nights only, go ahead and expand your budget and select a closer hotel :)

mediterranean
6. Re: By myself, first time in Stockholm - some questions

Just wanted to thank you all and let you know I found a place to stay at a reasonable price (10 days earlier and the price would have been much cheaper...) close enough to the institute.

I'll be back to ask some more questions before my trip - tack!

7. Re: By myself, first time in Stockholm - some questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 10, 2015