We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stockholm in July - excursion north to the arctic circle

Which Stockholm hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
reviews: 9
Stockholm in July - excursion north to the arctic circle

HI all,

We travel to Stockholm July 4th and would like to an opinion on where to stay. Stockholm seems to be set up similar to NYC with different districts. We like to stay in Time Square in NYC. We are a family of 5 (2 adults and 3 teens). What is a good/safe area for our family - close to everything.

Also, does anyone know of a good trip north. (or a good travel company) My google searches are finding many "northern lights" or "ice hotel" excursions but we will be visiting in July. We would like to see some of the natural beauty of the region. We would like to fly in and out rather than drive (due to time constraints).

London
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
reviews: 24
1. Re: Stockholm in July - excursion north to the arctic circle

I would stay either in Östermalm (upscale residential neighbourhood), Gamla Stan (the Old town, cute but a bit touristy) or Södermalm (boheme chic). But the hotels close to Central Stations can be good value for money as well. All areas are safe, it is more a question of mixing with the locals or with tourists.

As for a trip to the North, Kiruna is probably the airport of choice if you want to experience nature. This website is useful:

kirunalapland.se/en/…

VALLENTUNA
reviews: 14
2. Re: Stockholm in July - excursion north to the arctic circle

About tour in the north of Sweden. I will suggest to go by air to Östersund and from there go with Inlandsbanan a special railway. A good idea is to make a break att different places.

First stop in Jokkmokk, which is a Sami center.There is a lot go problems with the mining industry. The Swedish government will let international companies open mine in area protection by national and international laws and only pay in taxes 0.05 promille.

Get off at Slagnäs och from there to Båtsouj where indigenous people. You can stay there and take part of Sami activities. You can even stay there but the Sami family can drive you to Arjeplog where it is a Silver museum. The biggest collection of Sami silver in Europe. Stay one night in Arjeplog(youth hotel) and next day vist the Silver museum and later go by bus to Arvidsjaur where you continue to Gällivare. In Gällivare you must go to the mountain Dundret and stay and see the midnight sun. There is also another town next to Gällivare, Malmberget. In Malmberget the have made a part of the town how it was for more than hundred years ago.This town the y must move because of the mining. I belong to indigenous people and I know very much of the north Sweden.

Mjolby, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 106
3. Re: Stockholm in July - excursion north to the arctic circle

I second the suggestion to go with Inlandsbanan (inland railway). It's a great way to explore the northern parts of Sweden at a relaxing pace. I've done it 3 times myself and loved every minute of it. Plenty of things to see and do along the way.

There are some reviews available here at TripAdvisor: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g189810-d1…

Inlandsbanan web page: http://www.inlandsbanan.com/resor/uk/.html

Edited: 5:42 am, March 08, 2014
4. Re: Stockholm in July - excursion north to the arctic circle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 10, 2015