We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

scandinavia itinerary for 11 days

Which Stockholm hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 78
scandinavia itinerary for 11 days

hello! i am planning on traveling to scandinavia from hong kong next summer. i have read other itineraries here in TA but would just like to confirm that its really doable

roundtrip flight is hk-helsinki

day 1: helsinki - bergen. arrive 1+pm in the afternoon. day free to explore bergen

day 2: NiN tour. (i was contemplating on doing an overnight in balestrand but since im planning on leaving the next day.. would it be better to just stay in bergen instead?)

day 3: hike in bergen. leave at 4pm to catch the plane to copenhagen

day 4: copenhagen

day 5: day trip to odense

day 6:copenhagen to malmo to stockholm (originally wanted to do copenhagen- malmo- kalmar. overnight in kalmar. is this possible?)

day 7: stockholm (or kalmar to stockholm )

day 8: galve or uppsala day trip

day 9: overnight boat stockholm to tallinn

day 10: tallinn

day 11: boat to helsinki in the morning. go around helsinki then go to the airport for 11pm flight back to hk

would appreciate any feedback especially on day 6 and day 7. thank you!

Linkoping, Sweden
1. Re: scandinavia itinerary for 11 days

I would waive the day trip to Uppsala/Gävle and maybe also the trip to Tallinn. Stockholm is worth more than a day in your itinerary!

London
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
reviews: 24
2. Re: scandinavia itinerary for 11 days

Skip Kalmar and Uppsala.

I like Tallinn and it is different from your other destinations so I would keep it.

Vancouver, Canada
3. Re: scandinavia itinerary for 11 days

thanks for the suggestions!

i will be skipping uppsala and kalmar. how about malmo? can i make a short stopover en route to stockholm by train?

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
reviews: 117
4. Re: scandinavia itinerary for 11 days

If your priority is cramming as much as possible in then maybe consider flying Copenhagen-Stockholm. I don't know what your plan for Odense is but there are regular flights between Copenhagen-Stockholm so you potentially go the evening of the day trip. I'd personally have the extra day in Stockholm and go to the archipelago but if you prefer cities then Malmo is an option.

It's about 20 years since I did NiN but I did enjoy having an overnight stay in Flam. That said the day trip is definitely doable. There's a recent review including pictures over on Flyertalk flyertalk.com/forum/nordic-countries/1383317…

I'd also keep Tallin in.

Copenhagen, Denmark
reviews: 60
5. Re: scandinavia itinerary for 11 days

Concerning Odense, I would consider it less important among possible sights in Denmark, in spite of the traditional, popular associations with Hans Christian Andersen. Consider excursions in North Zealand - places like the castles Frederiksborg, Kronborg; art museums like Louisiana, Ordrupgaard and Nivaagaard, the Royal hunting park Dyrehaven; the lovely open-air museum Frilandsmuseet in Lyngby (summer only), Dragør fishing village very close to Copenhagen - etc.

Joen

Stockholm, Sweden
6. Re: scandinavia itinerary for 11 days

To save time, you can do the trip from Copenhagen to Stockholm on a sleeper train, or by air. A road trip would take around 6-8 hours on the motorway, and even longer on a scenic route.

Uppsala is a nice city, doable in a day trip, but you would probably use your time better in Stockholm.

Edited: 11:07 am, September 24, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
7. Re: scandinavia itinerary for 11 days

@blackeberg- yes. i am cramming the cities but hopefully it wouldnt be as stressful as joining a tour group like trafalgar. no concrete plans in odense.. shameful to say that i only put it there because of h.c.andersen. My friend want to do malmo. That and bergen was her only non negotiable so i cannot consider the plane.

ps. when you mention the archipelago in your post... is this the archipelago around stockholm itself?

@joen- frederiksborg and louisiana seem more interesting than odense. i am already scrapping odense at your suggestion. just cannot seem to decide which day trip to do yet

@toreHGK- initial mock bookings did not have a sleeper train but since you mentioned it i changed dates and you CAN do an overnight in between malmo and stockholm. my question is: how come there are no options for couchettes, private cabin etc. only 2nd class?

Edited: 10:17 am, September 27, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
8. Re: scandinavia itinerary for 11 days

Thank you for all your suggestions! here is my revised itinerary

day 1: helsinki - bergen. arrive 1+pm in the afternoon. day free to explore bergen

day 2: NiN tour. (i was contemplating on doing an overnight in balestrand but since im planning on leaving the next day.. would it be better to just stay in bergen instead?)

day 3: hike in bergen. leave at 4pm to catch the plane to copenhagen

day 4: copenhagen

day 5: day trip from Copenhagen

day 6: copenhagen to malmo to stockholm (sleeper train)

day 7: stockholm

day 8: stockholm

day 9: overnight boat stockholm to tallinn

day 10: tallinn

day 11: boat to helsinki in the morning. go around helsinki then go to the airport for 11pm flight back to hk

Vancouver, Canada
9. Re: scandinavia itinerary for 11 days

i forgot to mention that the link flyertalk.com/forum/nordic-countries/1383317… does not work. just for convenience. i would stay in bergen for 2 nights instead=)

Stockholm, Sweden
10. Re: scandinavia itinerary for 11 days

When arriving to Stockholm by train, be sure to enjoy the view just before entering the station.

The Baltic Sea cruises are much cheaper round-trip than one-way. A round-trip with a daytime stop also lets you use the cabin during the day.

Edited: 10:45 am, September 27, 2012