We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with hotels please

Which Stockholm hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
reviews: 4
Help with hotels please

I am staying with a friend in Stockholm for one night, August 1. We want to be close to the attractions during the day and to night clubs and bars at night. I have reservations at the Sheraton and the Scandic Anglais. Can someone tell me which is better situated for my interests please? Much appreciated!!!

Stockholm
reviews: 6
1. Re: Help with hotels please

Well, as in many cities, you will find nightclubs and bars in many areas. Is there anything in particular you're after? The Sheraton is in a pretty dead area close the Central Station and doesn't offer proximity to much except the hotel bar. The Anglais is right next to Stureplan, which affords you many more nightlife options. Public transport is good in Stockholm and taxis readily available, so getting out and about to go sightseeing or clubbing shouldn't be much of an effort regardless of where you stay. Personally I would be inclined to go for the Anglais, though.

Los Angeles
2. Re: Help with hotels please

Thank you so much for your help. My friend and I are both 40, we are looking for not so much big clubs but more local bars or wine bars with a good vibe. Do you have any suggestions in that area? Thank you again!

Moscow, Russia
3. Re: Help with hotels please

Then I would choose a hotel in Södermalm or in Gamla stan, if I were you. Södermalm is the bigger island just south of Gamla stan (Old town).

There are some smaller hotels in the alleys of Gamla stan. I suggest you google for it. Reisen, Lady Hamilton, Lord Nelson, Victory, Rica Hotel Gamla stan and the most charming of them all, Sven Vintappare, are example of these.

In Södermalm there are Hilton, Clarion, Scandic Malmen, Rival and many other smaller. I guess you google for hotel and Södermalm yourself.

Of the two you already have reservation in, Sheraton is the one located nearest to Gamla stan. It is just a 300 m walk over the bridge, but I agree with Smulan that the area around the hotel is not really exciting. But it is safe, central and a five star hotel, so...

You should know that the hotel (Sheraton) is undergoing renovation, which started early this year. This summer in July and August the lobby, bar and restaurant are moved to a temporaraly location in the hotel complex.

Anglais, on the other hand, has newly been renovated. Personally I really like to spend an hour or two in the piano bar in the lobby area. It has (unfortunatly) been to crowded after renovation by pre-clubing people, to my taste. The hotel has really become a hub in this area so rich of up-scale - and good - night clubs.

Stockholm
reviews: 6
4. Re: Help with hotels please

Not knowing what interests in music you have, I'll point you in a general direction. One place that's good for an evening drink (though not for a whole evening) is the SkyBar at the Radisson Hotel: stockholmtown.com/templates/… . It has a cocktail bar feeling to it, house wines are reasonably priced and there's a bit of a mixed crowd here, though 30+ is definitely the norm. I've even taken visiting teenagers there with positive results, since it's got one of the best views in central Stockholm. Another place that's good to go to for a drink on the terrace or just a peek at the décor is Berns, home to the "Red Room" of Strindberg fame.

Otherwise, if the weather is good and/or you just want to hang out, you can go bar-hopping around Stureplan (NB: a generally young crowd in many places) and up Kungsgatan, or around Medborgarplatsen, a short underground or bus trip just to the south of the city centre. The area around Medborgarplatsen and along Götgatan has the highest concentration of bars per capita of any area in Stockholm and there are quite a lot of outdoor seating areas on the main square. A lot of indoor bars will charge a cloakroom fee of around 20 SEK if you have jackets with you, but this is usually not a consideration in summer. Nightclubs will often impose a cover charge of around 100 SEK, though this varies according to day of the week, time of entry, etc.

Bars will be open until at least midnight and often later, so you may find that you'll be happy enough staying in a bar rather than going to a nightclub. Although many Swedes take holidays from work in late July/early August, you might find that there's not much real late-night action apart from the occasional club night on a Wednesday.

Los Angeles
5. Re: Help with hotels please

Thank you both Smulan and Baggen for your very helpful advice. I am very much looking forward to our stay. We will be in Copenhagen for 6 days and Stockholm for one or two. Thanks again!

New York
reviews: 2
6. Re: Help with hotels please

Stockholm is an wonderful city and Im sure you will enjoy it.

Do 2 days if you can.

I would choose scandic anglais out of the two, because the area is a tad bit more "happening", but there are far better hotels like;

Elite Hotel Stockholm Plaza, Stockholm (great area)

Hotel Diplomat (gorgeous area)

Hotel Riddargatan (great area as well)

These three hotels are in upscale area of town.

Hotel Rival is also very popular but in downtown stockholm (different area, more relaxed).

Have fun!!!

Los Angeles
7. Re: Help with hotels please

Thank you Elskin!

8. Re: Help with hotels please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:20 pm, September 04, 2009