We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jokkmokk or Abisko for Northern Lights & Dogsledding in Feb?

Which Lulea hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
reviews: 19
Jokkmokk or Abisko for Northern Lights & Dogsledding in Feb?

I am debating on either staying in Jokkmokk or going up to Abisko for the northern lights and dogsledding in February. Here's what I see:

1. Jokkmokk

- advantage: more flights via Lulea.

- advantage: a little cheaper than flying to Kiruna, and Lulea would be nice to visit if we have time.

- advantage: found a cool dogsledding company that promotes ecotourism.

- advantage: can take a picture at the arctic circle sign (but how many taxis are in the town anyways?)

- disadvantage: transportation to Jokkmokk may be a problem. If we fly from Stockholm in the morning we can't catch the bus in time (at least I don't think) to get to Jokkmokk. there's also no train in winter.

- disadvantage: without a car it may be difficult to go see the lights?

2. Kiruna

- advantage: abisko sky station seems to be a nice place to see the lights.

- advantage: flight/bus connections seem to be better.

- disadvantage: COLDER than Jokkmokk!

- disadvantage: need to fly further up north.

Any thoughts? Thank you for your help!

11 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
reviews: 19
11. Re: Jokkmokk or Abisko for Northern Lights & Dogsledding in Feb?

Thanks again Anders. Just wanted to follow-up and hopefully help others here. I ended up in Abisko, and was able to view the northern lights! We were not able to use the chair lift that evening though, but in any case, you can go outside and the lights were right behind the building. It was not strong but totally fine. Just wished I were able to see more.

Tip: be prepared to sleep really late. I went to bed just before midnight and was told that the best show was at 3am (for that evening of course).

The dog sledding tour was with PolarHuskies, and these guys were awesome. They picked us up at STF Abisko and took us just outside of the park and we were inside the park for a bit! Had a great time.

Thanks again!

Reply to: Jokkmokk or Abisko for Northern Lights & Dogsledding in Feb?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted