We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to see Aurora Borealis?

Which Sweden hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hutchinson...
reviews: 1
Where to see Aurora Borealis?

We have a limited amount of time & money for Sweden, but one of the things we'd really like to see are the spectacular Northern Lights! I've read about going to Kiruna and taking a dog sled or reindeer out to see the spectacle and am wondering if it's worth the long travel to get there from Stockholm - is it by far the best place to see them? We'll be visiting our daughter over the Christmas holiday - she's studying abroad for the year and we're trying to hit a few diff destinations, with Sweden being one of them. We don't mind making this the big "wow" of the trip in terms of splurging on the budget if it's the only place to go to have this kind of experience - or are there other options that are closer to Stockholm that are nearly as good? (complete with sled dog?) Thanks!

Stockholm, Sweden
1. Re: Where to see Aurora Borealis?

Kiruna is the perfect latitude for Northern lights, but as the weather might be cloudy, so there are no really safe bets.

During Christmas, most venues and transports are crowded, so be sure to book in advance.

Linkoping, Sweden
2. Re: Where to see Aurora Borealis?

Kiruna is unbelievably dull and grey. Just go a little further to Abisko, Riksgränsen, Björkliden, Porjus, Kvikkjokk or any other small village in the mountains. if you are unlucky and don't get the chance to see the Aurora you will at least have some scenery.

3. Re: Where to see Aurora Borealis?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 1:05 am, October 19, 2013
Hong Kong, China
reviews: 84
4. Re: Where to see Aurora Borealis?

Cant see from Stockholm?

Mjolby, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 106
5. Re: Where to see Aurora Borealis?

Hi!

You usually need to go far up north to see the lights. Once in a while they are visible down south as well but these occasions are very rare.

Hong Kong, China
reviews: 84
6. Re: Where to see Aurora Borealis?

Any incidence of AB in Stockholm before?

Huddinge...
7. Re: Where to see Aurora Borealis?

I live in Stockholm and have never seeing Aurora Borealis. You must visit the north of Sweden.

Edited: 2:34 pm, October 24, 2013
Mjolby, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Stockholm, Sweden
reviews: 106
8. Re: Where to see Aurora Borealis?

Yes, there was one in March this year. It was visible far south in Sweden. But they are rare.

This footage is from Uppsala:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18lMa9rPGxA

Lund, Sweden
reviews: 2
9. Re: Where to see Aurora Borealis?

If I recall my Guinness Book of World Records correctly, the furthest south the Aurora Borealis has been seen was in .... Singapore!

But, that is extremely rare. The only time I have seen it myself was close to Sundsvall, which is about in the geographical centre of Sweden and some 400 km north of Stockholm. Then again, I am not very often that far north in the winter and during the summer it is daylight nearly around the clock when you get up north.

It is all a matter of probabilities and there are no guarantees. So, the further north and the less daylight, the better your chances.

Skutskar, Sweden
reviews: 33
10. Re: Where to see Aurora Borealis?

I live near Gävle and we get AB a few times every winter.

Mostly on really cold nights in jan feb.