We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Copenhagen on my own

Which Copenhagen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Copenhagen on my own

I will be in Copenhagen only for a short time in May. I would like to see as much as i can so can anyone advice me if this itinerary can be done in two-three hours? Does this itinerary take longer than these hours? From Langelinie,go to Amalienborg, go to Marmorkirken,go on Bredgade then off to Stroget( will not walk the entire length of Stroget) then on to Nynahavn then back to Langelinie.Quick photo stops along the way... We will be leaving at noon so the changing of the guards is out of my plans and the hop on hop off bus starts at 10 AM and that's a little too late for me as I am pressed for time. What's the weather like in May? I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Scotland
1. Re: Copenhagen on my own

Greetings

It's certainly walkable in three hours - probably much less than that. I think it's probably only about 45 minutes from Langelinie to Stroget at a leisurely pace. But, none of the sights will likely be open before 10am.

It might be nice to walk up from Langelinie to Marmorkirken, and then go up Store Kongensgade which runs parallel to Bredegade and get some Danishes from one of the konditori. Then you can walk down to Nyhavn & Kongens Nytorv and look around there. You certainly should have time to walk down Stroget - it's only about 15-20 minutes from end to end. You can always take the Metro or train for bit if you get short of time or sore of feet.

Kate

2. Re: Copenhagen on my own

KScot, with my itinerary, just wondering, how may blocks is this walk compared to your suggested walk? Is this itinerary walkable for just under an hour at even a leisurely pace? I'm really looking forward to seeing Copenhagen as this will be the first time that I will be in this city. What about a bus from Langelinie that might take me all the way to Stroget and then I was thinking of walking on my way back to Langelinie? how long is this bus ride? Does the bus driver call out the name of the streets where the bus stops? Is there a landmark or sign that would make Stroget easily recognizable while you're on the bus? Is it still dark around 6 AM in this city? Thanks so much.

Scotland
3. Re: Copenhagen on my own

Greetings

I was in Copenhagen for most of May, and my memory is that it was quite bright by 6am. Up this far north, summer days are very long - at the longest the sun rises around 4:30am and doesn't set until after 10pm! But one of local experts can confirm or refute my memory.

Depending on where exactly you are coming from on Langelinie, it looks to be about 3 kilometers to the Stroget. It's not really translatable to blocks because they are all different sizes, plus you have to walk through or around Kastellet.

You are probably best to take a bus to Stroget and then walk up - I've never been on the buses in Copenhagen, but you would get off at Kongens Nytorv which you can't miss. It's a huge "square" - actually roundish - surrounded by the Royal Theatre, the massive Hotel d'Angleterre, Magasin du Nord etc. You can explore Stroget a bit, and then walk back up via Kongens Nytorv, Bredgade, peek in at Amalienborg/Marmorkirken, and walk up to Kastellet, which a pretty place to walk in nice weather. From there you can walk up to Langelinie.

Another option, since you are there in May, is to take the harbor bus, which starts near Kastellet (Norre Tolbud), and stops at Nyhavn (right next to Kongens Nytorv etc) and beyond. There are a few stops, but it's super quick and offers a nice view out into the city. Also, from my map it looks like the #26 bus is the only from Langelinie, but it goes to Kongens Nytorv and you'd go past Rosenborg Have/Slot.

I've always used a klippekort for the harbor bus, but I'm sure someone here can help with you the details of buying a bus ticket (the same tickets are good on bus/train and harbor bus).

Kate

4. Re: Copenhagen on my own

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, August 16, 2009