We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cash or credit card in Copenhagen?

Which Copenhagen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
England
reviews: 170
Cash or credit card in Copenhagen?

I know this has subject has come up a few times, but I can't find anything recent-ish so thought I'd check the current situation.

We'll be in Copenhagen for 5 days and were wondering whether to use cash or credit cards and, if a card, is it better to use Mastercard or Visa? We've read somewhere that restaurants etc add 4%!!

Any advice would be really appreciated.

6 replies to this topic
Roskilde, Denmark
1. Re: Cash or credit card in Copenhagen?

I don´t think there is any point in paying cash in Copenhagen, at least for my purposes a Visa is enough.

Cheers

Ballerup, Denmark
reviews: 1
2. Re: Cash or credit card in Copenhagen?

Both Visa and MasterCard should be fine.

Some places will add an extra fee when using international credit cards, but they're obligated to tell you beforehand whether they do or not (I suspect some either don't know or will forget to tell you though).

You can find more info here and how you can block your card if you happen to lose it:

visitcopenhagen.com/copenhagen/credit-cards

England
reviews: 170
3. Re: Cash or credit card in Copenhagen?

Thanks for your post, but why is there no point in paying for anything in cash?

4. Re: Cash or credit card in Copenhagen?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:35 pm, February 07, 2014

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
5. Re: Cash or credit card in Copenhagen?

at least for my purposes a Visa is enough.

-------------------------

That is likely a Visa/Dankort.

Hans

uk
reviews: 73
6. Re: Cash or credit card in Copenhagen?

Visa and Mastercard are widely accepted, some smaller places may only take Dankort, a local payment card.

An increasing number of places now add a percentage to the bill for foreign card transactions - this is annoying and it is rarely advertised, often just a little foot note on the bottom of a menu.

Reply to: Cash or credit card in Copenhagen?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted