We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Recommendations Between Christmas & New Year

Which Copenhagen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles
reviews: 10
Restaurant Recommendations Between Christmas & New Year

Hello,

My husband and I will be in Copenhagen December 27-31. I'm noticing a few of the resturants I was interested in are closed during this time, specifically Noma and Geranium (which is probably better for our wallets). I would love to receive suggestions of people's favorite places to eat in Copenhagen, maybe similar to a dining experience at one of these resturants but also casual bistros, cafes or trattorias. We live in Los Angeles and do not get a lot of Scandanavian food here (outside of pickled herring in Solvang), so those recommendations would be very welcome as well.

Thank you!

Copenhagen, Denmark
reviews: 92
1. Re: Restaurant Recommendations Between Christmas & New Year

That's a tricky one. Hard to say if they will be open or not. Check these out:

Pluto

Fishmarket

Pastis

Alsace

Retour

Rebel

Marshall

Kokkeriet

Clou

Che Fe

Los Angeles
2. Re: Restaurant Recommendations Between Christmas & New Year

Hi Heroneya,

Thank you so much for this thoughtful list! I was able to make a few reservations at some of the restaurants you recommended.

Best,

Chris

Copenhagen, Denmark
3. Re: Restaurant Recommendations Between Christmas & New Year

May I ask where?:)

Copenhagen, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Copenhagen
reviews: 8
4. Re: Restaurant Recommendations Between Christmas & New Year

If you are up to a trip outside of Copenhagen Hotel Frederiksminde in Praestoe is very much worth a visit. Their restaurant serves amazing Nordic food and you can combine it with a overnight stay and explore the very small but also very cosy Praestoe town. Both the hotel and the restaurant is worth a visit :)

hotel-frederiksminde.dk/frederiksmindeen.aspx

The sensory stay package is really good value - my husband and I just went to Frederiksminde on such a stay and had an extremely nice experience (and the food was soooo good).

hotel-frederiksminde.dk/room-suites/sensory-…

Los Angeles
5. Re: Restaurant Recommendations Between Christmas & New Year

Hello!

We have reservations at Kokkeriet & Fishmarket. It's difficult to find a restaurant open on a Sunday evening over the holidays but I did read about a place called "Host" which sound interesting (and is open!). Is Cap Horn (for lunch) a total tourist trap? The photograph of the blazing fireplace looked very inviting (and not a familiar sight here in Southern California). Thanks again for your suggestions. I'd love to check out Retour on another visit.

Los Angeles
6. Re: Restaurant Recommendations Between Christmas & New Year

Wow! This looks incredible.! Unfortunately I don't think we'll make it out of Copenhagen on this trip, but I have already bookmarked it for future reference. Thank you so much for the recommendation!

Best,

Chris

Copenhagen, Denmark
7. Re: Restaurant Recommendations Between Christmas & New Year

Host is supposed to be good. Haven't been there yet, but I've been to their other restaurants. I believe you'll like it.

Regarding places to eat and sleep at, Dragsholm is even better. Check it out :)

Siena, Italy
8. Re: Restaurant Recommendations Between Christmas & New Year

Expect to find more places closed than open as Violushka mentioned due to the fact that the Danes from the evening of the 24th thru lunch on the 27th tend to spend time with the family. Having said that there will be places open and depending on your budget (because for many visitors, DK can be a bit expensive with respect to what they are used to, especially if you want a wine or some beers or whatever). Nimb is fabulous, but it is on the high side of the what-you-would-pay side. I am sure, as was said, restaurants close to Tivoli will be open and there are many types to choose from. Beef houses, then in tivoli as was said, but then you need to pay the entrance fee. Or, some have entrances from outside tivoli, like the hungarian, all you can eat restaurant Herzegovina, just opposite one of the main entrances to the copenhagen main train station (Hovedbanegaard). Farther you go from the centre the more difficult, obviously, it will be to find anything but a pub or two open. Close to the Cinema (100 yards from Tivoli) are a few restaurants as well, or follow Vesterbrogade (turn left at the opening of tivoli and walk straight down the street) and there are several restaurants that are attached to hotels that should be open, too. I wouldn't recommend much along the stroget, if in fact, they are open. There is a Chinese that will be open for sure, but I don't know of its quality. It has been there for zonks years anyway.

By the evening of 27th and for sure on the 28th most restaurants will be open anyway. It is the 24-26th where problems arise. If I were you, I would look for a restaurant advertising a traditional Danish Xmas dinner that will have duck, Flaeskestig (roast pork with cracklin', cooked red cabbage sweetened with black current jelly, boiled potatoes, boiled new potatoes that are pan-fried in a caramelised sugar (not too sweet, really), gravy, and tons of other things, then for desert the famous rice pudding made with cream and chopped almonds then a delicious black cherry sauce topping. Really extraordinary. The other days you can go to the more up-scale places should you wish. If you like a wine or two of good quality, it is this that will set you back a bit in DK. Just ask your hotel reception for places that have what you wish and I'm sure you will find what you want. Don't forget to eat a real Danish hotdog from one of the many street stands. They are probably the best you will have tasted. All best for the trip.

Edited: 8:55 am, December 23, 2013
9. Re: Restaurant Recommendations Between Christmas & New Year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 25, 2014