We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

28 hrs in CPH

Which Copenhagen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Virginia
28 hrs in CPH

We (extended family of 10 - 6 adults and 4 children ages 4-15) will be spending ~28 hrs in CPH, 8 am to 12pm next day. A few questions.

Plan to cram Tivoli at night, canal tour in afternoon, walk through Stroget to get to Nyhavn, city hall, little mermaid, National Museum, Rosenberg Slot, maybe Carlsberg brewery. So a few questions. We will be staying at Cabinn Scandinavia in Frederiksberg, closest metro is Forum St.

1. Is there a Hop On Hop Off tour that is included in a Copenhagen Card or Travel Card that will allow us to visit many of these places without walking everywhere? Kids may not be too thrilled to walk all day. If yes, what is it and how do we get it?

2. What is the best mode of communication from Frederiksberg to the places mentioned above?

3. Can we buy Tivoli ride tickets at the entrance?

4. How can we get from Cabinn Scandinavia to Freeport cruise terminal on Saturday ? What is the best mode to get from Freeport to Airport on Monday? how long does it take?

5. Are minivan taxis easily available or should they be prebooked?

6. Are there suggestions of must see places I may have missed?

7. Any recommended restaurants for Vegetarians? Smorrebrod or anything else. .

thanks. CJ.

Copenhagen, Denmark
reviews: 3
1. Re: 28 hrs in CPH

1) There are dozens of "Hop on Hop off tour busses" which may suit your needs. They can be rather expensive though. They are not included in the 24 hour travel passes you can get for the metro/bus/trains.

However there are a lot of busses that will get you around most tourist attractions that will be included in the 24 hour travel passes, there's a bus called 11A which runs to/from most major tourist attractions. They are recognized by being rather small busses (slightly bigger than minivans).

I know this site is in danish, but there's a map of where it's route here:

http://www.a-bus.dk/11a/

Also this site might be useful for you: www.rejseplan.dk - take note that you can change the language top right corner to English by clicking on the flag. This will tell you the fastest route via public transportation to/from any destination in Denmark.

Regarding the transportation passes, you can get either a 24 hour pass for all zones - or a City Pass. If you don't plan on going outside Copenhagen, go for the city pass.

2)

See www.rejseplan.dk

3)

Tour passes can be bought at the entrance yes - as well as the entrance fee of course.

4)

You are probably looking at taking the S-train (red trains) line C from Vesterport to Østerport. But this will send you out walking 2,5 km total, so this might be one of the places where you might want to consider taking a taxi unless walking is an option.

5)

Regarding prices and availability you can contact this company:

http://www.taxa.dk/en/velkommen.aspx

It should be in english, otherwise click british flag top right corner.

I don't see many minivan taxis around and about in Copenhagen, so I think you may have to pre book it.

6)

You'll probably want to take a look at the Round Tower. If you're into museums, my personal favourite in Copenhagen is "Glyptoteket", it is a pretty neat building, where you can also go to the roof and have a decent view of Copenhagen. It is famous for it's garden in the center of the building.

You could check out Botanisk Have if you're into gardens - or you could go see our parliament if that's something you'd like.

My personal favourite place in all of the Copenhagen Area is "Fredriksborg Slot" (Fredriksborg Castle) in Hillerød, roughly 40 minutes of S-train ride outside Copenhagen. It has an awesome garden, you can do boat tours on the lake - and the City of Hillerød is, in my opinion, the most beautiful in all of Denmark.

If this is something you'd wanna go for, you'd need to go for the travel pass for all zones.

7)

Best vegetarian restaurant as far as I know is called Riz Raz (They serve meat as well though). There's two of them in Central copenhagen. Otherwise you could find places that sell Smørrebrød, but they often contain some sort of meat. And also I don't think it's something all children like, and when considering the typical price, a normal restaurant might be a better option. If you want to go more budget-friendly, there's restaurants all over called Jensens Bøfhus, which have a salat buffet, but being a meat-eater myself, I never actually tried it.

If any of the children qualifies to own a Student Card, do bring it and they will most likely get a discount on anything from entrance fees to restaurant visits.

Enjoy your (way too short) stay in Denmark :-)

Northern Virginia
2. Re: 28 hrs in CPH

Dear Mads T,

Thanks v much for your detailed response. A few follow up questions.

1. I like the suggestion about Frederiksborg Slot but i am thinking we may better stick within the city to cover more things. That said, would you have a recommendation between Rosenborg Slot Or Amalienborg Slot ? We are thinking the kids might like the changing of the royal guard at Amalienborg.

2. If we decide to go to Hellerod, Is S Train included in CPH card or travel card ? What kind of travel card do we need and where is the S train terminal ?

Copenhagen, Denmark
reviews: 3
3. Re: 28 hrs in CPH

Hello again,

1. Definately, you'll get around more things if you leave Frederiksborg Slot out of the picture. To go to Frederiksborg slot you'll need a 24 hour travel card for all zones. If you are not going, get a city pass valid for zones 1, 2, 3 and 4. These are bought at most central stations. (And probably also at the airport)

By the way, there is one place a lot of people find neat about Copenhagen, it's the Copenhagen Lakes, it is situated ~500 meters away from Amalienborg and it could be easily covered on foot.

While the changing of the royal guard is a tourist attraction, all it really is, is soldiers walking around. That being said, some people find it amuzing. What the children are into of course I do not know.

2. Just to clarify, the station you need to go to is "Hillerød" - There is another station called Hellerup st, which you don't want to get confused. Also for your information the most central station in copenhagen is "Nørreport"

Pretty much all stations within Copenhagen are s-train stations, and they are covered under the City Pass / All Zone pass (whichever you choose). From København H, Vesterport st, Nørreport st, Svanemøllen st - you can get to pretty much anywhere.

Sorry if my post is one big mess, I added some details after writing it. If you don't get any of it, just let me know :-)

Northern Virginia
4. Re: 28 hrs in CPH

Thanks Mads T, your post was clear. One more Q - what is the cost of one ride on the 11a bus?

Just wondering if a city pass will be worth it if we take a taxi to hotel and then taxi to cruise terminal.

Northern Virginia
5. Re: 28 hrs in CPH

And another question - where would we board the 1A bus to get to Hellerup ? Can we catch a train from Hellerup to Nordhavn ? How long of a ride is it ?

We are wondering if we can go to visit the Experimentarium (kids might like it) as we may have a rainy day on Saturday.

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
6. Re: 28 hrs in CPH

All buses in the city centre cost DKK 24. The ticket is valid for 1 hour.

You can take the S-train from Hellerup to Nordhavn. The ride is approx. 4 mins.

Hans

7. Re: 28 hrs in CPH

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 22, 2014