We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12 hours in Copenhagen on a March Sunday

Which Copenhagen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
reviews: 6
12 hours in Copenhagen on a March Sunday

Hi,

I had posted a question sometime back but here's more questions and any advice is greatly appreciated!

We would land in Copenhagen 9.05am on a Sunday morning and leaving for Reykjavik at 9.30pm in the night.

We would like to (1) get in a smørrebrød lunch and then (2) some sightseeing like the Little Mermaid, Amalienborg Palace etc before ending our day with (3) some shopping and pastries from Lagkagehuset along Strøget ending with a short visit to Tivoli and back to train station to airport.

(1) Most smørrebrød places seem to be close on Sundays and so far I found 2 that we are interested in (and are open!). Aamanns (near National Gallery of Denmark) and Told Og Snaps

(at Nyhavn). Which would u recommend?

(2) So our sightseeing plans would depends greatly on where we have lunch.

If it's Aamanns, then we would probably visit National Gallery of Denmark and then walk down to Rosenborg Castle to Marble Church and to Amalienborg Palace. and then try to get to the Little Mermaid. and then back to Strøget, Tivoli and train station.

If it's Told Og Snaps, we would explore Nyhavn, then Marble Church, Amalienborg Palace, Round Tower and then try to get to the Little Mermaid. and then back to Strøget, Tivoli and train station.

Which would be a better route? Any suggestions is appreciated!

Also, we are planning to get a CityPass. That would include to and fro airport to city plus the metros, buses and harbor buses (boats?)?

How do we get to the Little Mermaid say from National Gallery of Denmark? with buses?

Or can we get a harbor bus (boat?) from Nyhavn to someplace near the Little Mermaid?

Thanks!

Copenhagen, Denmark
reviews: 12
1. Re: 12 hours in Copenhagen on a March Sunday

Okay first the bad news for you: Tivoli is not open in March.

This year the summer season starts April 11th and ends on September 22nd.

Then there's the good news: Yes the city pass covers you for transportation to and from the airport and any metro, bus, train or harbor bus ride you may want to take in the 4 central zones of the city (all of you places of interest are well within).

Also I think you are imagining Copenhagen as a very much larger city than it is. It's a really compact city, so you don't have to make definitive choices based on long distances between the places you want to see. And could do all of them within your time frame.

As regards to Aamanns versus Told and Snaps - it's a choice between modern smørrebrød and a more classic style - Aamanns being the modern place.

Another option - especially if the weather is nice and it can be in March or it can be, cold and damp - would be to eat smørrebrød at the shop in Torvehallerne or get it to go and sit out side.

To really get the full Aamanns or Told and Snaps experience could take around an hour and a half. The shop in Torvehallerne offers fast service and smørrebrød of a very high quality in my opinion.

You can plan your use of public transport at www.rejseplanen.dk - but yes the harbor bus can get you fairly close to the little mermaid - both harbor bus lines go to Nordre Toldbod, from there it's 5 minute walk to the statue - but keep your eyes peeled, she's easily overlooked ;)

From Statens Museum (The national Gallery) you can catch bus line 26 or you could actually walk in about 25 minutes.

Use google maps to plan walking routes - they are usually pretty good.

Edited: 11:27 am, January 03, 2013
singapore
2. Re: 12 hours in Copenhagen on a March Sunday

Seriously thanks for your advice! and I probably think Copenhagen is larger than it is. But coming from tiny Singapore, we think all other cities are big! and we don't really like walking so anything more than 10-15 mins is considered faaaar... we blame it on the hot & humid weather! lol

No worries on Tivoli as we are just thinking of taking a stroll there on the way to central station so we can easily skip that.

Would definitely consider Torvehallerne as I was looking forward to a more casual time in Copenhagen and if the weather is good, smørrebrød takeaway sounds good.

Advice needed: I was thinking of doing either National Gallery or Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek or Rosenborg Castle after lunch (since they close early) and do the obligatory photo-taking at Amalienborg Palace & Marble Church & Little Mermaid after that.

Which of the 3 would you recommend?

Thanks!

Fredericia, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Bentota, Beruwala, Sri Lanka
reviews: 7
3. Re: 12 hours in Copenhagen on a March Sunday

I would do Rosenborg Castle or National Gallery. Glyptotek is approx. is approx. 2 km - 25 mins walk from Amalienborg.

Hans

singapore
4. Re: 12 hours in Copenhagen on a March Sunday

Have decided on Rosenborg Castle and probably hop in at National Gallery for a quick look!

5. Re: 12 hours in Copenhagen on a March Sunday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 09, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Copenhagen