We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit/debit cards

Which Copenhagen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rhode Island
reviews: 46
Credit/debit cards

I have heard that US credit cards cannot be used in Copenhagen unless they are embedded with a chip. Our credit and debit cards do not have the chip. Can they be used anywhere? In particular, we are hoping to use ATM card to obtain Danish kroner at Kastrup. Any advice would be appreciated.

Copenhagen, Denmark
reviews: 59
1. Re: Credit/debit cards

From what I understand it is essential that your card has a pin-code, whereas lacking a chip won´t necessary be a problem.

Perhaps others here have personal experiences....

Joen.

Edited: 1:47 pm, August 30, 2012
Chicago, Illinois
2. Re: Credit/debit cards

I am visiting Copenhagen next week, and I am planning to use credit/debit card with the pin numbers on the ATM machine. I used this card last year in Paris, Metz and Luxembourg to get some cash at the ATMs, and I had no problem whatsoever. Does anybody know that the ATMs in Copenhagen will act the same way?

Thanks,

Pussanee from Chicago

Arcadia, California
reviews: 22
3. Re: Credit/debit cards

Marym, I have used my US issued debit card in Copenhagen and other cities in Europe for many years. Never had a problem at ATMs, and on the rare occasion when a merchant will tell you that a payment can't be processed without a chip, just explain that it has to be processed manually with a signature.

The most important thing is to notify your bank of your travel plans before you leave, but you probably know that already.

Illinois
reviews: 93
4. Re: Credit/debit cards

Also remember that there are foreign transaction fees, you may want to get an idea of what those are in advance for each country as well. We usually each take out our maximum (US $300) in the local currency (Euro, Zloty, Kroner, etc.) depending on where we are, and then live off of that for our time there, only going back if necessary. Multiple trips to the ATM get costly, so something to keep in mind. A good money belt for your cash, credit cards, passports, airline tickets, etc. is a MUST! Goes right under your clothes, not visible to pickpockets or in your treasured photos of your trips!

Enjoy and God Bless!

Atlanta, Georgia
5. Re: Credit/debit cards

We just got back from a few days in Copenhagen and for the most part, had no trouble with our non-chip cards. There was one restaurant we went to in the Christianshavn area that would only take Danish cards (we wound up not eating there), but other than that, we would just swipe the card and enter the PIN.

As arcadian7 says, let your bank know which countries you'll be in, and the dates you'll be out of the US. To that I would add, keep a list of card numbers and bank phone numbers.

Bob

Dover, Delaware
reviews: 47
6. Re: Credit/debit cards

We were in Copenhagen and Norway this month, and we were glad that we obtained a pin number for our credit card in advance. Most places require a pin. Our credit card was only completely turned down one time, and that was at Aldi's grocery store in Copenhagen - they don't take any foreign cards. But we were able to go to the ATM down the street and get cash for our purchase.

7. Re: Credit/debit cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, October 02, 2013