We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train to Frederiksborg Castle

Which Copenhagen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fremont, California
Train to Frederiksborg Castle

I am planning a day trip in Copenhagen in late Jun(The cruise will arrive at 8am and leave at 5pm). I will travel with my husband and 2 kids(ages : 15 and 7). The plan is :

(1) walk from Pier to Amalienborg Palace,

(2) walk to Christiansborg

(3) walk to Central Station

(4) Train to Frederiksborg Castle

(5) Train from Frederiksborg Castle to Kronborg Castle

(6) Train from Kronborg Castle back to Copenhagen Central Station.

Questions:

1. will it be too tight?

2. If too tight, which one should I drop. I believe the kids may not be interested in history/museum.

3. I want to visit Frederiksborg Castle by taking the S-train from Copenhagen to Hilleroed. From the following site, I can find the schedule:

http://www.rejseplanen.dk/

But I have a hard time understand the fares/price(not in English):

Billettype Zoner Type Pris Bemærkninger

Billet Alle zoner 108,00 kr Kontant Billet

Klippekort Alle zoner Gråt 45,50 kr klippekort pr. klip

Periodekort Alle zoner Personligt 1180,00 kr periodekort 30 dage

Can someone translate this?

4. Should we buy the ticket for each trip separately? Or are there other type of tickets I should buy?

5.. Can I buy the train ticket in the train station using credit card?

Thanks.

Copenhagen
reviews: 77
1. Re: Train to Frederiksborg Castle

You can do the trip you have planned. You seem to be a castle-person ;-)

What you would need regarding transportation, is either

- a 24hour ticket (DKK130pp), valid for all public transportation in greater Copenhagen, including the areas you have mentioned, or

- a cOPENhagen-card (DKK229pp), same as above, plus all entry fees to museums etc. Read more here: visitcopenhagen.com/tourist/what_to_see_and_…

Fremont, California
2. Re: Train to Frederiksborg Castle

Many thanks for this useful tips!

Do you know whether I can buy the cOPENhagen Card (and the 24hr ticket) in the Cruise Terminal? I don't want to order it online in case there is some final changes.

Copenhagen, Denmark
reviews: 12
3. Re: Train to Frederiksborg Castle

I'm not so sure you can manage that program in the time space you have - especially not with children.

I would say that you would need to set aside at least an hour total for getting on and off the the ship which leaves you with 8 hours.

You total train travelling time will be and hour and 40 minutes.

Then you'll need to get to and from the castles in Hillerød and Kronborg - on foot that's at least 1 hour and 15 minutes total.

That leaves you with five hours for four castles including lunch and the walk on foot through Copenhagen that you plan to start the day with. It's a good 4 kilometers and will take at least 45 minutes.

Both Kronborg and Frederiksborg have pretty large grounds that are part of the exploration - Frederiksborg has an amazing barouque garden and Kronborg has the moat and the fortification towards the water.

And the castles themselves take time to explore as I assume you are a castle buff.

Finally I wonder why you'd choose Christiansborg - in Copenhagen center - over Rosenborg with the crown jewels.

Rosenborg was build in the start of the 1600's - Christiansborg was build in the start of the 1900's.

There has been a castle there since the 1400's but it's not that castle that you visit it's a much newer structure.

/Andrea

Fremont, California
4. Re: Train to Frederiksborg Castle

Thanks Andrea!

According to the city map, if I walk from Amalienborg Palace to Central Station, I will pass Christiansborg. And this is the reason I pick Christiansborg. Sound like Rosenborg is more worth visiting now. I will change my plan :

(1) walk from Pier to Amalienborg Palace,

(2) walk to Rosenborg

(3) take subway(from Norreport station) to Central Station --> will this save me some walking/time?

Bunn, North Carolina
reviews: 22
5. Re: Train to Frederiksborg Castle

If you have to pick between Kronborg and Frederiksborg Castle, I would recommend Kronborg castle. The reason is, if your boys are like mine, they should enjoy this castle more than Frederiksborg Castle because of the fortifications and the casemates. Frederiksborg is wonderful because of the gardens.

Arcadia, California
6. Re: Train to Frederiksborg Castle

When you get to Norreport station you don't need to go to the central station, since you can catch the train to Frederiksborg at Norreport. Just look for the "E" train marked "Hillerod".

Fremont, California
7. Re: Train to Frederiksborg Castle

Thanks for this wonderful tips!

Arcadia, California
8. Re: Train to Frederiksborg Castle

I forgot to mention that should you decide to skip Frederiksborg, you can also catch the train to Helsingor (Kronborg Castle) at Norreport station.

Fremont, California
9. Re: Train to Frederiksborg Castle

I assume I can take train to Hillerød(for Frederiksborg) and Helsingør(Kronborg Castle) from Osterport station, right? In that case, I may visit the Frederiksborg and Kronborg Castle first, then back to city for Rosenborg and Amalienborg.

Arcadia, California
10. Re: Train to Frederiksborg Castle

Yes, you can catch both trains at Osterport as well.