We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ships Tours from Helsingor

Which Copenhagen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
reviews: 125
Ships Tours from Helsingor

Will be traveling on a Baltic cruise on Princess which makes a brief stop in Helsingor before final stop in Copenhagen. At Helsingor, one can disembark only if taking a ships tours, which then meet the ship in Copenhagen later in the day.

Wondering if it is worth the price to take tour to see Kronborg Castle or just continue to Copenhagen. I have three tour options:

Best of Denmark: Includes (1) Kronborg Castle - ramparts and courtyard (2) Rosenborg Castle - visit the state apartments and the Danish Crown Jewels (3) Tivoli Gardens (8 hours $219)

Halmlet's and Frederiksborg Castles: Includes (1) Kronborg Castle - visit banquet hall, the chapel and the castle courtyard (2) Frederiksborg Castle - Neptune Fountain, interior rooms of the King's Wing, and church and (3) Tivoli Gardens (7 hours $199)

Helsingor Walking Tour and Copenhagen Panoramic Tour: Includes (1) Kronborg Castle battlements (2) guided walking tour Helsingor (3)narrated bus tour Copenhagen (6 hours $169)

Would appreciate any advice and recommendations. Thank you!

Havana, Cuba
1. Re: Ships Tours from Helsingor

I can't tell you if it's worth it or not. Depends on your interests. If castles and an old amusement park like Tivoli doesn't interest you at all, then naturally it would not be worth it.

Personally, I would find it worth the money. Everything offered in the three different tours are worth seeing. I would take # 1 or # 2 depending on your preferences.

Kronborg and Tivoli are the ones I would recommend. Crown jewels and Rosenborg castle also interesting. Never been too crazy about Frederiksborg Castle.

Kronborg Castle is the setting of Shakespeares 'Hamlet' if you are not aware allready.

Scotland
2. Re: Ships Tours from Helsingor

Greetings

Another point of view...

I'd also go for one or two. Seems pricey to me, but you don't have options and you don't want to miss out on Denmark!

I think two sounds the best - if you're going to go to Kronborg, you want to see the inside of the castle, not just the courtyard. But I can see the appearl of option one as well.

Personally, as a non-Danish tourist, I preferred Frederiksborg to Kronborg. Frederiksborg has the national portrait gallery plus the setting - the lakes with the formal gardens are gorgeous. Kronborg is striking thought as it looms out over the city and the harbour.

You definitely can't beat Tivoli, though you're probably there during the day and it's prettiest at night when all the millions of lights are twinkling.

Option three doesn't sound great - I think Copenhagen is a city that is best done by foot. Buses can't get into the parks and many of the smaller, twisty streets so a bus tour would miss out on the best parts of the city.

Have fun!

Kate

Havana, Cuba
3. Re: Ships Tours from Helsingor

I just want to add, that if you're confused with the two replies, I would choose Kates over mine. It's just better.

As a Copenhagener who rarely gets outside Copenhagen unless I'm flying abroad, I haven't been to any of the castles (let alone Helsingør or Hillerød) for years, so my memory is starting to fade when it comes to these castles and cities.

4. Re: Ships Tours from Helsingor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 pm, September 24, 2009