We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Low cost accommodation in Copenhagen?

Which Copenhagen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Greece
Low cost accommodation in Copenhagen?

We will be making a stopover in Copenhagen on our way to Sweden in a couple of weeks' time. Since we are staying in many hotels during our three week driving holiday through Europe, we are trying to limit accommodation costs to 80 euros per night. This is proving extremely difficult in Copenhagen, there are few budget hotels that seem satisfactory (the less expensive ones seem to have very bad reviews), and in any case most are fully booked.

What we need is a clean and safe hotel anywhere in or near Copenhagen. No need for anything fancy. We have a car, so the place doesn't need to be near public transport.

Anyone with a good tip? :) I feel like I have looked everywhere.

Havana, Cuba
1. Re: Low cost accommodation in Copenhagen?

Maybe this thread will help you:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189541-i218-k1290…

Other than the hotels in that thread, you will have difficulties finding reasonable accomodation for less than 80 Euro per night in and around Copenhagen. As you have allready learned, hotels here are (way too) expensive.

Tomas

Greece
2. Re: Low cost accommodation in Copenhagen?

Thank you so much for your help.

Yes, it seems Copenhagen is extremely expensive when it comes to accommodation, but also that it is very popular at this time of year. I am still without luck, but will raise our price-limit and widen the search to areas around copenhagen. There must be something somewhere! :)

Could you possibly suggest the 5 "must-do's" for a small group that has never been to Copenhagen and unfortunately will be pushed for time? I have seen your name elsewhere in the forum and you seem very knowledgeable indeed. :)

Havana, Cuba
3. Re: Low cost accommodation in Copenhagen?

A top 5 must-do is always difficult as my own favourites are propably not the same as a first-time tourists, but I'll try and look at it from an outsiders perspective.

1. Walk from Town Hall Square to Kongens Nytorv through Strøget (long pedestrian street with shops) - end up in Nyhavn, the old harbour with sailingships, bars and restaurants.

2. Tivoli Gardens. Go late afternoon/night.

3. Canal cruise (could be combined with number 1 - You can start the cruise in Nyhavn)

4. Christianshavn. Beautiful odl neighbourhood with canals and cosy streets, on an island close to Kongens Nytorv. Could be combined with a walk through Christiania (freetown with funky houses and people).

5. Traditional Danish lunch. I have recommended three places in this thread: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189541-i218-k1327…

The order of these is completely random. It is also very subjective, someone might give you a completely different list.

Good luck looking for a hotel. If you find something interesting, I suggest you drop a line in this thread to see if any locals knows the place and/or the area.

Greece
4. Re: Low cost accommodation in Copenhagen?

Thanks DonTomas!

I really appreciate all your nice suggestions. I still haven't found anywhere for us to rest our heads while in Copenhagen, but at least we will be well fed and have lots to do. :)

Greece
5. Re: Low cost accommodation in Copenhagen?

Searching and searching for accommodation, I cannot find anything under 150 euro. I have ended up as far away as Hilleroed and Helsingoer in my searches, but really that would not be practical.

I have found a place called Brondby Park near Copenhagen. In most sites this place is fully booked, but I have found available rooms for 93 euro. Unfortunately the reviews are horrendous and while I personally might be able to cope with something so-and-so, I feel responsibility towards the rest of the people I will be traveling with.

I have also found a place called First Hotel Mogenstrup Kro, which somewhere unfortunately was characterized as "a dump" and far from Copenhagen in any case. As well as a Comwell Holte near Copenhagen, which for some reason worries me.

I did find a nice place called Menstrup Kro Resort Hotel, but that is in Naestved, which should be over an hour away from Copenhagen. We have so little time to see Copenhagen as it is, and since we will be coming up from Germany at some point in the afternoon, I was hoping to get a taste of Copenhagen in the evening as well as the following day, until we leave for Sweden. Staying so far away would mean a bit of jo-jo driving...

I am sure there are small places like that in villages closer to Copenhagen, but how can one find them? The way it is looking now, we might skip Copenhagen for this trip and choose Malmoe instead. Such a shame though, we have got ourselves all worked up for Copenhagen...

Sorry, long post... Have you heard of any of the above places or would you know of a small "kro" or similar place nearer Copenhagen?

Copenhagen, Denmark
reviews: 12
6. Re: Low cost accommodation in Copenhagen?

Sorry, this seems so impossible,

Of the places you mention, the only one I would remotely consider is Comwell Holte - is a nice place used mainly for business seminars, but it's far from public transport and has no easy access.

You would not feel you've been to Copehagen of you stay there, part of the citys charm is walking around after dinner and maybe find a nice place for coffee or a glass of wine outdoors if the weather is nice. Not having to drive through the suburbs for 45 minutes.

Stay away from Mogenstrup and Menstrup even with a car, that's just too far away, you'll spend too much time on our often overcrowded motorways.

If you can find something in Malmö I would go for that. There's easy access to Copenhagen by way of a train service that runs all day and night.

Malmö is a nice place in it's self and I'm sure you would enjoy it.

I don't know if they have any vacancies but have you considered the Copehagen City Hostel, it's basic but supposed to be very nice, and you can book rooms with private baths if your group is prepared to share, that might work.

www.danhostel.dk/vandrerhjem.asp?lan=uk

Havana, Cuba
7. Re: Low cost accommodation in Copenhagen?

Taxidia,

I would advise against staying in Helsingør or Hillerød, let alone Næstved. They are all nice cities (especially Helsingør) but they have nothing to do with Copenhagen and you will be way too far away from CPH to get any kind of decent feel for the city. As for Malmö, I would say it would have to compete against Helsingør. It cannot be compared to Copenhagen.

And Brøndby... This is a far-away, typical suburb with nothing to offer you. It is really not a very interesting place to stay on a holiday. And since the suburbs biggest attraction - the football team Brøndby IF - is currently playing like a bag of nuts and just loss 0-5 this weekend, you may find people there pretty touchy and depressed :-)

Have you looked at: http://www.cabinn.com/ ?

The first three of the 6 hotels on the front page are all in Copenhagen and all in good areas from which you can easily walk into the city center. In fact, the first of them is right by Tivoli and thus very central. I dont know how many people you are but if you're less than four, you can get away with around 100 EUR per night. A room for two people is around 85 EUR.

If I was a tourist on a tight budget spending time in Copenhagen at a time of year where you're going to be outside all the time anyways, I would choose this place.

I have stayed at this chains Århus-hotel a couple of times and if the ones in CPH are similar, it is definately nothing special, but clean and practical.

Greece
8. Re: Low cost accommodation in Copenhagen?

Well, I ended up looking at those options I mentioned above more as a "just how far away from Copenhagen do I need to look to find something?"-test. It is definitely too far away to be the place to stay, especially as we are pushed for time. I did think of Malmoe as an option, to sleep there I mean, as the hotels are cheaper there and far from over-booked. But we will be coming to Copenhagen from Germany and continue into Sweden afterwards, and while we are looking forward to test driving the new bridge (new to us), we weren't planning to drive back and forwards over it several times. :)

Cab Inn was the first place I looked at and they were full unfortunately. Seemed otherwise fine. Ibis I checked second, and they are full to, as are other known budget hotels in the area. I suppose you have to start planning these things earlier, if you are to get the good deals... I have doubled the sum I was initially prepared to pay though and cannot really go higher this time.

I have planned this crossing Europe trip in the past few days. It meant a lot of hotel booking and sightseeing preparing and route planning and this is actually the only thing that has not gone my way, so I cannot complain. :)

Thank you so much for your help and your sympathy!

Copenhagen, Denmark
Destination Expert
for Copenhagen
reviews: 8
9. Re: Low cost accommodation in Copenhagen?

Hi

I do not know how many people you are and how many rooms you need, but sometimes it is possible to find a place to stay here:

http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/

:)

10. Re: Low cost accommodation in Copenhagen?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:23 am, September 07, 2009