We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Place to stay

Which Skiathos hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Leicester, United...
Best Place to stay

Hi all,

I know this probably gets asked alot but i would like some advice on where is the best resort and sc appts to stay in? I have never been to skiathos and we are thinking of having a week there in may, we are 30 & 31 and like a good choice to eat out at night and a couple of cocktails after a meal to sit and chill but we are not into loud bars and clubs anymore. I have been to kefalonia and loved every minute, beautiful island and skala was just right to stay in but wasn't keen on zante as much but would like to visit other greek islands, what is skiathos like in general? is rhodes a good option aswell? and can you visit skopelos for a day? we would like to do a couple of day trips, is there much to see and do? many thanks for any help.

33 replies to this topic
Durham
reviews: 54
1. Re: Best Place to stay

Hi Kaz,

Everyone is different. We've been to Skala too and really liked it and the island. We prefer Skiathos as it's just as pretty as Kef but is a lot smaller so the beaches, views are a lot more often and closer.

We like to stay close to Skiathos Town. Skiathos Town is the prettiest place we have ever visited. It has two harbours with lots going on as they are quite busy with Ferries, Sea Cats yachts etc and the two harbours are flanked with dozens of bars and restaurants so you can sit and watch all the activity.

If you explore a little behind the harbours, especially the old harbour you will find narrow streets packed with shops, boutiques, tavernas, retaurants and more bars.

It is a very pretty place with a friendly ambience. It's not too loud although it may be loud along on Club Strip but that is a little further away and you can take it or leave it as you wish.

I would recommend you stay in the town or Megali Ammos which is the area just out of town where the town beach is. If it's self catering you like I can recommend The Dajon Luxury Apts on the outskirts of town.

Others will sing the praises of staying in Troulos etc but I think the town would be perfect for a couple your age.

Good Luck, Gary.

Sheffield, United...
reviews: 35
2. Re: Best Place to stay

The other great thing about Skiathos is that the bus runs along the one road - all stops numbered and you can try a different beach/resort every day if you wish ! it's one of the islands we have not yet hired a car although we may do this year. We stay around bus stop 15 and tend to head into town some nights to eat but stay locally at least half the time. The ferries/ catamarans are easy to hop on and off and buy tickets just before you board at the port. So you can easily take a trip over to Skopelos or take one of the organized boat trips. Should not be too busy in May either - enjoy,

Leicester, United...
3. Re: Best Place to stay

Ok thanks, what is the beach like at megali ammos? we do like a nice beach to walk on but tend to loung by the pool when we want to chill more than on the beach anyway, we also don't want a british kind of resort, we like to see abit of tradition.

essex
reviews: 2
4. Re: Best Place to stay

stay in town perfect for what you want I also love kefalonia so im sure you will fall in love with skiathos you can get boat trips to skopelos and get water taxis from town to a few of the beaches give it a go and enjoy

Wigan, United...
reviews: 55
5. Re: Best Place to stay

I agree with all the above about Skiathos. From what you say I think you would enjoy staying close to the town. Having said that there are a lot of other places which would suit your requirements. We tend to do B&B but should you choose town I am sure someone will be able to recommend sc. I am sure you will love the island. We have been to Kefalonia, Zante, Santorini, Rhodes but up to now nothing compares to Skiathos so much so we are returning twice this year making it our 9th and 10th visit. Hope you find something.

Bolton, United...
reviews: 3
6. Re: Best Place to stay

Hi Kaz, We are going back to Skiathos for the 3rd time this year & we like Troulos- lovely beach & quite a few tavernas dotted around plus a few bars. Wherever you stay you can easily hop on the bus to town for a bit more nightlife! We liked Skala but Zante not so much, Skiathos is our favourite of all the places we've visited in Greece, wherever you stay I'm sure you'll fall in love with the place!

Leicester, United...
7. Re: Best Place to stay

Thanks everyone for your replies,it all sounds so nice just need to decide on resort for deffinate.I did think of santorini as it looks so beautiful aswell but think will try skiathos this time.

cheshire england
8. Re: Best Place to stay

Hi Kaz ,Gary is spot on , the only thing i would add is being in the town you really do get the chance of chatting to local people who are as interested in you as you are in them, once they notice you a nod and smile is always given , just sit watching as fish is bought at the fish market you will soon start getting

"Kalispera" catherine.

Leicester, United...
9. Re: Best Place to stay

Thank you,sounds easy to get around the island aswell. What is the beach like at megali ammos?

Edited: 1:46 pm, January 09, 2014
Bolton
reviews: 16
10. Re: Best Place to stay

We have also been to Kefalonia and Zante, plus Halkadiki, Parga, Stoupa, Levkas and Crete but you can't beat Skiathos. We will be returning for our 11th and 12th visits this year and always stay close to town as its easy to hop on the bus to the beaches and handy for town in the evening. On saying that we are staying for our September holiday in Ag. Paraskevi for a different perspective on the island and for a change. I don't doubt you will love it wherever you stay on this beautiful island.

Reply to: Best Place to stay
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted