We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Credit Card Fraud on Ikaria

Stockton. England
reviews: 2
Credit Card Fraud on Ikaria

Hi.....I'm back after a great holiday to Ikaria and Fourni but alas I have a problem i'm hoping someone can help me with please.

Someone on Ikaria has taken 180€ off my credit card by the name Achaldi Bros OE, Ikaria and i only paid cash throughout my stay.

I'm hoping someone has paid the following companies by credit card for me to determine which one it is as all are proving dead ends.

Aventura Car Rental, Armenistis.

Pyrgos Exclusive Boutique Villas, Agh Kirykos, Ikaria

Archipelagos Hotel, Fourni

Erofilli Hotel, Armenistis.

If anyone has used these by credit card please could they check who collected payment so as to know whether their payment collections department go by the name Achaldi or not.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Jerry

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Stoupa, Finikounda, Petalidi, Athens
reviews: 55
1. Re: Credit Card Fraud on Ikaria

Take a close look at your receipts from the above places, is that name mentioned anywhere on them? Were any of your cc bills 180 euro?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
reviews: 32
2. Re: Credit Card Fraud on Ikaria

Hey and welcome Jerry:) You state you paid cash throughout?! Nonetheless, agree with Yiassas..check receipts if you did in fact use a cc! Best..and ENjoY!

Stockton. England
3. Re: Credit Card Fraud on Ikaria

Only used card for guarantee purposes with booking.com for the hotels and Aventura car hire incase of damage.

Fourni Hotel and Pyrgos both 180€ but both acknowledge i paid cash and deny taking payment on card afterwards.

Rena at car hire not responded as yet and definitely no mention of that name on receipts im afraid.

Card locked in safe throughout holiday.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
4. Re: Credit Card Fraud on Ikaria

.sounds like it was a mix up of sorts on the hotel..if you can't validate charge, would take it up with your CC company..you can start a dispute and they'll research it for you! Keep us posted..keep enjoyin'!

Edited: 12:26 pm, September 26, 2011
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Stoupa, Finikounda, Petalidi, Athens
reviews: 55
5. Re: Credit Card Fraud on Ikaria

In that case I would get on to the CC company & dispute payment straight away. If, for any reason, it turns out to be genuine it can always be allowed to be processed later. Check your card's policy on disputed transactions first though, some charge if it later turns out to be a valid transaction!

ikaria
6. Re: Credit Card Fraud on Ikaria

Archipelagos hotel belongs to Achladis family, so check your receipts again & contact them, as any supplements don't be calculated automatically in the total costs and have to be paid separately in the hotel. Take a look here: http://www.archipelagoshotel.gr/en/index.htm

Stockton. England
7. Re: Credit Card Fraud on Ikaria

Hmmm thanks for that despina G......Achladis and Achaldi are very very close given the s does sometimes get dropped in Greece.

I've contacted Barclaycard who have temporarily suspended the transaction pending investigation and emailed all parties concerned. None of which have replied unfortunately.

It's such a shame because I loved the people of Ikaria and particularly Fourni. Such friendly people made for a fantastic holiday but this has left a very bitter taste with me and tarnished an otherwise faultless holiday.

The problem i'm going to have with the Archipelagos Hotel was that after paying cash at reception the girl didnt give me a receipt. When i politely requested one she rang Toula at the pharmacy and she assured me that all was well, she knew i'd paid and there was no need for a receipt.............more fool me.......it'l never happen again. And in future i'll carry payment through onto my card used to guarantee booking to avoid a repeat.

Just received an email back from Rena at Aventura who says her company go by Aventura on the statement and they dont know anyone in Ikaria by that name but they do know Achladi in Fourni who rent rooms so its all pointing towards Archipelagos.

I'm probably going to end up paying £162 ( 180€ ) that i've already paid once because i fell for words of crooks. If its a genuine mistake on their part i'll be the 1st to apologise but they were quick enough to answer emails before , now, nothing and they've denied it over the phone to Booking.com who i'll contact again.

No supplements by the way, no phone use, minibar, nothing like that.

Jerry

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
8. Re: Credit Card Fraud on Ikaria

Thanks for the update Jerry..bear in mind disputes can take a month on average..sometimes more..but does sound strange your emails weren't responded to as they were when initially making all your plans! I, too, for the most part, never ask for a receipt when paying cash for rooms/studios on the isles..but then again, never had an issue since a CC never came into the picture! IMO, it looks like the property and booking site both took funds! Do keep us posted..Enjoyin'!

Stockton. England
9. Re: Credit Card Fraud on Ikaria

On advice i've emailed them for a 3rd time asking them to check their monthly bank reports which would highlight the error in name. Once again, and over 24 hours later now, i've had no response.

The booking.com site just do the booking Litsa. The card is for the hotel and no payment is dealt with through that site. I've used them countless times with no problem whatsoever. The statement reads Achaldi Bros OE, Ikaria so its deffo on Ikaria or Fourni but with Pyrgos flatly denying and Archipelagos not responding and with the closeness of the names involved it's certainly looking like Archipelagos on Fourni. They can't be responding to Booking.com either because they were very helpful with quick responses yesterday and today, nothing.

Very frustrating. I think i'll camp on the beach next year..lol

Jerry

Edited: 9:50 am, September 27, 2011
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
10. Re: Credit Card Fraud on Ikaria

Thanks for the clarification Jerry:) Wouldn't worry just get..give it some time and for the CC to do it's thing! Best again..enjoyin'!

Get answers to your questions about Ikaria