We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short trips around Thessaloniki

Which Thessaloniki hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fontainebleau...
Short trips around Thessaloniki

I have couple of free days to spend in the Thessaloniki region Mar 2-4. My plan was to go to Vergina (through Veroia) on Satirday morning, then go to Meteora monastery area where I was planning to spend a night and then all Sunday climbing.

I have couple of questions:

1) Can I get from Veroia to Meteora (Kalambaka/Kastraki) directly?

2) Are some of the monasteries closed on Sundays?

Thank you,

Boris

Thessaloniki, Greece
Destination Expert
for Thessaloniki
1. Re: Short trips around Thessaloniki

Hello!If you have never visited Thessaloniki before,i'd suggest to spend your whole time in here.It's impossible to do Vegina and Meteora in 1 day,even more if you don't have a car.However,if you still want to spend some time out of Thessaloniki,you can visit Vergina only!

Grigoris

Edited: 11:38 am, February 25, 2013
Fontainebleau...
2. Re: Short trips around Thessaloniki

Thank you for your reply. I am spending two days in Thessaloniki itself as well- just didn't mention it. I was planning to spend half a day in Vergina, then just somehow get to Meteora where I was planning to spend the next day or day and a half.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
reviews: 32
3. Re: Short trips around Thessaloniki

Hey and welcome Boris239:-) This can get a bit complicated since I do not believe there is a direct bus to Meteora.. Kalambaka/Kastraki area from Veroia! Chances are you'd need to return to Thessaloniki and go from there.. even if there was service from Vergina, chances are you'd need to make at least 1 bus change enroute.. and that may even be Salonika;-) Trust someone will advise on bus from Salonika.. Sounds like a great adventure in the making;-) Happy planning.. and enJOY!

Edited: 12:03 pm, February 25, 2013
Fontainebleau...
4. Re: Short trips around Thessaloniki

Thanks, Litsa! I really want to make it to Meteora- the pictures look amazing- hopefully the weather will be good to trek!

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
5. Re: Short trips around Thessaloniki

My pleasure Boris239:-) I'm sure you'll get there;-) May take a couple of bus changes if you don't find anything direct.. but would certainly plan on spending at least an overnight.. if not 2.. in order to get a full day it;-) Where are you headed after Meteora.. ?;-) Keep enJOYin'!

Fontainebleau...
6. Re: Short trips around Thessaloniki

Going back to Thessaloniki and from there to Sofia- flying to Paris from there. Just a short vacation for me- classes start soon :)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
7. Re: Short trips around Thessaloniki

Sounds like a great plan:-) Let us know how it goes.. enjoyin'!

Thessaloniki, Greece
Destination Expert
for Thessaloniki
8. Re: Short trips around Thessaloniki

Boris..if you want to visit Meteora,you have to start your journey from Thessaloniki.Take the bus to Kalampaka(via Trikala) and then another one that goes to Meteora.The same applies for the return trip!

Grigoris

Fontainebleau...
9. Re: Short trips around Thessaloniki

Thanks, Grigoris! I will follow your advice.

Bristol, England
reviews: 6
10. Re: Short trips around Thessaloniki

I have just returned from Thessaloniki and there is much too much to do there in a few days , let alone go outside the area! There is a good hop off hop on bus service from The White Tower for 2 euros. It stops all around the city including the old town and finishes at 4pm . A really good way to see Thessaloniki.

Or if you really want to leave this huge city then take the airport bus #78 to the bus station (about 40mins) and there is a train station next door with an information desk