We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florina for Xmas....

Which Florina hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Athens
reviews: 54
Florina for Xmas....

I am...forced to spent my Xmas in Florina this year, that is what my sweetheart wanted so...

We have been there once before but only had little time to go around, so does any of you have any advice for us apart from a) Food in Kontosoros and b) excursions in Prespes and Nymphaio? (we have already done all that...) Especially if you know any other good restuarant, it would be great.

I hope there is someone out there who has some info, since I could not find anything in Florina forum...

Molaoi, Greece
Destination Expert
for Naxos, Peloponnese
reviews: 22
1. Re: Florina for Xmas....

How about Kastoria? It's within reasonable driving distance and a truly beautiful city. Much nicer than Florina if you ask me.

Otherwise, you could do a cross border excursion to Lake Ohrid. That may be a bit of a stretch though.

And the Prespes are also worth a second visit. The drive across from Florina is beautiful and the mountains will be covered with snow.

Athens
2. Re: Florina for Xmas....

Thanks, philhellene. I must say, I don't like Florina, so maybe an excursion or two might help the situation.

PS Crazy website, getting advice for Florina from Leeds! :-) It seems like you have travelled around Northern Greece a lot more than I have! (I usually stick to the southern parts!!)

Thessaloniki, Greece
reviews: 90
3. Re: Florina for Xmas....

Florina is usually overlooked by visitors, but this part of Greece has a lot to offer:

1. Pisoderi ski centre. It's located at a beautiful location between Vermion and Varnountas mountains.

2. A visit to Zazari, Chimaditida, Petron and Vegoritida lakes. Zazari in particular is very beautiful.

3. Visit some of the historic sites associated with the Macedonian struggle.

4. Take a wine tour at Amyntaion wine area, some of the best Greek wines are produced here, almost exclusively from the Xinomavro variety. My favorites are the ones from Alpha Estate, Kyr-Giannis and the Amyntaion Coop (try to find the "rabbit" one). Check www.wineroads.gr for more details.

5. Try some very nice restaurants in the surrounding area, such as Thomas at Sklithro.

6. Get your passports and a green card for your car (it's free) and visit Bitola at FYROM. Bitola was formerly known as Monastiri and was home to the largest Greek population in the area before WW I. It's a shame it's no longer a Greek city. Beware of hostile customs officers.

Enjoy your trip in one of the less visited areas of Greece.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
reviews: 32
4. Re: Florina for Xmas....

Hey Foggy...that wineroads site is fantastic..found a couple I visited in Naoussa..thanks:-) I totally agree with you..some phenominal areas up North totally 'un-tredded' and unique! Enjoy all!

Athens
5. Re: Florina for Xmas....

Thanks foggy! So there is more to see... You definately cheered me up!!

Stalybridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
reviews: 21
6. Re: Florina for Xmas....

Thanks for that link Foggy - great site!

Thessaloniki, Greece
7. Re: Florina for Xmas....

You are all welcome :-)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
reviews: 32
8. Re: Florina for Xmas....

We are all grateful....and beautiful pic:-) Enjoyin'!

Thessaloniki, Greece
9. Re: Florina for Xmas....

By the way, one of the most interesting and spectacular customs in Florina is "Fires" ("οι φωτιές"). Every neighborhood in Florina prepares its own big fire that is lighted on the midnight of December 23, regardless of the weather. Kids gather wood for months and store it in secret places waiting for the big night. They even assign night watchmen to guard the wood from rivals! The biggest, the better! Wine and other spirits are of course plentiful during that night.

Athens
10. Re: Florina for Xmas....

You're right, foggy, that is why we visited the place last year for the first time. It is quite fun but one has to be prepared to experience some serious cold there... dancing in the street is not only fun in this case, it is essential for your survival! A hot chocolate afterwards is also in order, there was a very nice cafe last year called oikade but someone said it is closed? I hope it is rumours

Get answers to your questions about Florina